Peringkat & Ulasan

1. Billy Casper's World's rating of the film Sunset

An unsettling dreamlike film, that conveys the pre-war delusion, paranoia and hysteria of the time, as if viewed at the time as an helpless bystander. Whilst witnessing the feeling of descending into a nightmare or the end of the world; the main character bravely confronts the dark hopelessness, before our eyes, as naturally as watching the sun disappearing out of view below the horizon.

2. Tommy Fantini's rating of the film Sunset

3,5 - Sunset? Yes of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Sunset of Peace! end of luxury! Let's follow an orphan girl! daughter of a wealthy hair-maker who tries to find work in her family business finds a brother? find the rulers?

3. redux's rating of the film Sunset

Young female psychic can pick up complex information from monosyllabic words whispered by strangers, and navigate a sea of blurred extras. Meanwhile, millinery leads to WWI. (P.S.: Better on second view, but the hat was definitely too big for the head.)

4. Francisca's rating of the film Sunset

5. Traum Baum's rating of the film Sunset

2,5 Too vague to make a proper statement.

6. Not A Sexy Vampire's rating of the film Sunset

Became a mild pariah among my friendship group because I loved Sunset. While others argue it was too long, subjective and boring I was utterly entranced. I've never before seen a film that uses natural light so cinematically (maybe I just noticed it more because of Ming-Liang). Captures the feel of getting swept up in the waves of history, with some fab hats. Like a throwback to classical cinema (Gone With The Wind).

7. Ulrich JARLØV's rating of the film Sunset

8. Renton47's rating of the film Sunset

One might describe Nemes' approach to locating his characters in the story as 'right place, right time', such is the fate directing their trajectory. As it progressed I lost my foothold, floundered in history, but not minding as mystery resonates stronger than clarity. It's environmental depth is intoxicating, what lingers is a feeling that history overwhelms us all.

9. misu's rating of the film Sunset

10. OFF_FRAME's rating of the film Sunset

Tensely obtuse, Sunset has us join a woman in search of her identity who in turn discovers her destiny. Questions around family, fate, creation vs destruction as well as genetics vs environment lay beneath the surface of an impeccably realised world. There are frustrations though with characters who miraculously appear just in time to bring Irisz back into the fold. Camera work and acting is top notch. 3.5 stars

11. giovanni's rating of the film Sunset

12. Dries's rating of the film Sunset

Visivamente pazzesco, inquietante ed enigmatico. Dopotutto è un discepolo di Tarr :)

13. Draughtsman Without Contract's rating of the film Sunset

Absolutely extraordinary. Decadence and insurrection via extreme millinery in pre-WW1 Budapest. A structuralist examination of class and gender power relationships mediated via a big hat shop; the ultimate signifier of both. The perspective is just behind or just in front of Irisz but never quite her own. Events can never be quite understood let alone controlled. A high wire act for all that's unlikely to end well.

14. Dada Kubin's rating of the film Sunset

To start with a platitude: political is personal, and the best grand stories are told from the personal perspective. Here it’s the modist shifting between two callings, the revolutionary brother and the legacy of the parents. Beyond fine storytelling Sunset is also very intensive experience, thanks to all the close-ups, the camera running behind the characters, and the resolute protagonist who just won’t give up.

15. Jorge Mourinha's rating of the film Sunset

Jude's SCARRED HEARTS is better at forlorn, prophetic end-of-the-empire melancholy, but there's no doubt Nemes's hyper-textured, immersive tale of a young woman whose search for her past can't help but destroy it is quite impressive.

16. Superfrog's rating of the film Sunset

I am afraid I was unable to get what this film was about, is it a metaphor, is it a straightforward drama, is it a fight club remake. Add to this the shaky camera and the odd I found the focus ring and I can do all this amazing creative focus shots that are not really amazing. If it wasn't a grueling experience due to the lack of actually offensive contents, it was one that left me entirely unmoved.

17. josé neves's rating of the film Sunset

Cinema. The stereophonic sound of this film (and of his previous one), filling the whole space out of the image in grandiosity and omnipresence, doesn't offer a concomitant imaginary imagery, but only a noisy complementarity. We endure a crispy face and camera for more than two hours to reach another flushed travelling that concludes with an image of the actress looking at us, with her usual immutable expression?

18. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Sunset

With Sunset, Laszlo Nemes has cemented himself as one of the most intriguing auteurs working today!

19. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film Sunset

Quel film creux et insupportable.

20. saitosouta's rating of the film Sunset

4.5 Budapest, one of the most beautiful city in the world, becomes a labyrinthine pandemonium which stirs audience's brain. Hellish long-take, suffocatingly sinister atmosphere, sublime shadows on the protagonist's face. All the elements proliferate its mystery like bacilli which corrupts our world tranquilliy. If highly manipulative, "Sunset" is a masterful enigma by a young Hungarian maestro, Nemes László.

21. dionysus67's rating of the film Sunset

From Klimov's greatest disciple, this is a genuinely cinematic dive into the WWI enigma. Filmed in draped colors and gloriously lit, Nemes' film puts the 'Saul' style to better effect. The 'causeless' evil erupts from impeccable surfaces, which turn the firm's name to a pun to denote the schizoid doubling of the European mind. Superbly acted, its hazy style immerses the viewer into the abyss prior to the trenches.

22. easternicko's rating of the film Sunset