Sokrates Kapsaskis was born in Zakynthos in 1928.
He studied Film in Paris (IDHEC) and made his directorial debut in 1958.
In 1966 he turned his back on directing and sought new outlets for his artistic pursuits.
In April 1967 the Junta took over and Greece was under Dictatorship.
Because he couldn’t “bear this pain of intellectual humiliation,” he opened an ArtCinema called “Studio”,
which would for almost 25 years be the source for International Cinema in Greece.
It was the “Studio” that showed Fellini, Pasolini, Fassbinder, Kurosawa and Godard to a Greek audience for
the first time, but it was also the “Studio” that showed all the films of Warhol,
as well as Hungarian, Japanese, Australian, American, Cuban and Russian Cinema.
Small towns would form a “Film Club” to rent out films they never would have discovered otherwise,
and with a copy they also received press material, political information and leaflets.
He would be arrested on a regular basis for showing Russian Films, but since he could prove that he had
obtained the copies through an American company, he was set free every time. Creating this Art Cinema was
one of his greatest contributions to Greek cinema, and there are many Greek directors who claim they owe
their career and love for Cinema to the “Studio”.
In 1984 Kapsaskis sold the STUDIO and devoted himself more and more to writing.
His translation of James Joyce’s Ulysses won him the European Union Translation Prize in 1992.
He passed away in the night of the 28th August 2007.
The Art Cinema STUDIO list contains cinematic treasures that all premiered in Greece at this movie house.
An hommage to a great cinema and an even greater cinephile.