Wong Kar-wai is one of my favorite directors in the world. His films about passionate love affairs and tortuous break-ups really strike a chord with me.
1. Chungking Express – The first WKW film I saw. Faye Wong and “California Dreamin’”. Just so utterly iconic…
2. In the Mood For Love – Absolutely stunning below the line production. Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung’s chemistry is off the charts.
3. 2046 – Tony Leung reflecting on three past relationships hit home for me. Nice to see a bit of continuation of ITMFL
4. Happy Together – Refreshing to see a gay love story that isn’t cliche or juvenile. Also the different setting of Argentina instead of Hong Kong is really interesting and refreshing
5. As Tears Go By – Great Asian version of "Mean Streets’. The “Take My Breath Away” sequence is stunning. When Maggie Cheung turns around to see Andy Lau at the bottom of the train station, it’s classic. It’s a really well shot scene.
6. Days of Being Wild – Could have better better in my opinion. I absolutely disliked Leslie Cheung’s character and his adoption thing didn’t ring true for me. The thing that saves it for me is the great performance by Maggie Cheung and Carina Lau.
7. My Blueberry Nights – I’m sure I will take flack for ranking MBN this high, but I found it rather charming. I actually liked Norah Jones’ performance in it (she also looks beautiful) and thought Jude Law was surprisingly good here (maybe because it seemed like he was playing himself). Great theme song as well from Norah Jones.
8. Ashes of Time – Not bad except I just didn’t think WKW was a great fit for wuxia and it was a bit all over the place but plenty of good performances.
9. Fallen Angels – Def. seemed like the also-ran section of Chungking Express that it was. Pretty lazy and confusing outing from WKW.