The best Father-Son relationships to be explored on film.
“When a father gives to his son, both laugh; when a son gives to his father, both cry.”
Predictable Stages of the Father and Son Relationship:
1. Idolize: This refers to our childhood view of our fathers, when they seem invincible.
2. Discord: This occurs during the rebellious teen years, when we typically want to be nothing like our fathers.
3. Evolving: During young adulthood, our difference or contempt turns into something more like competition.
4. Acceptance: Occurs during our 30s and 40s when we let go of old hurts and acknowledge our father’s positive traits. Friendship often begins to evolve in this stage.
5. Legacy: In our 50s, we will recognize that we are a living product of our fathers influence.
—Dr. D. Charles Williams for the Georgia Psychology Asc.
†not in the database†
in descending order
Dad (Gary David Goldbery, 1989)