Punk group Green Day’s Broadway musical “American Idiot” highlighted Black women characters who were in the punk movement (a movement originally started in late-1960’s through early-1980’s). Though not generally known in the mainstream, Black women have been involved in the punk movement since the beginning and many of the artists expanded into New Wave, including such artists as Grace Jones, Nona Hyndrix, and others.
This list is an ode to those Black women who represented punk on film!
- Debby played “Gretchen,” the Manager of the Sex Pistols in the movie “Sid & Nancy” (1986)
- Rosario Dawson playing “Gail,”‘ the leader of one of the hottest and scariest gang of girls in this city of vice.
- De’Adre Aziza rocked out with the best of them in Spike Lee’s movie adaptation of the hit musical “Passing Strange”
- Who could forget the all and powerful “Aunty Entity” of the bombed-out futureworld in “Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome” ?
- Grace has been in several movies, the most memorable being “Zula”" in “Conan the Destroyer” (alongside Arnold Schwarzenegger) and James Bond villain “May Day” in “A View to a Kill”
- The late-Vonetta McGee kept a rag tag group of “Repo” men in check at the office