5 stars: A+. A
4 stars: A-, B+,
3 stars: B, B-, C+
2 stars: C, C-
1 star: D, F
1. Soul Kitchen: B-, Sweet comedy, surprisingly well filmed, but overall not the treat I was expecting.
2. Enter the Void: C-, It may be visually stunning, but the script and the acting is pure bullcrap
3. Le Cercle Rouge: A+, My favorite Melville, a genre defining movie
4. Brief Encounter: A, Still surprises me how fresh and influential this is
5. Magnolia: B+, Some of the storylines were just stunning (Macy and Tom Cruise for example), but still, some felt a bit flat.
6. Election: C+, I still don’t see the fuss about Alexander Payne’s sarcasm.
7. The Loneliness of The Long Distance Runner: B+, brilliantly coregraphed, but not the best example for kitchen sink drama.
8. Topsy-Turvy: A-, Visually stunning and emotionally engaging, I only wished it didn’t contain itself in his period piece niche. Still, a major Mike Leigh work.
9. Basket Case: B-, Low-budget trash horror at his best.
10. The Cranes Are Flying: A+, Still one of the most touching love story ever.
11.Sweet Smell of Success: B, Incredibly well done, but not overwhelming at all. Find my self frustated with those classic american Noir.
12. Pina: A-, Incredibly joyous and creative film and a beautiful visual treat.
13. If…: B+, Even if it has some problems, it is still THE touchstone for revolutionary cinema.