Back in April 2009, I naively took upon the cast of creating something of a “female film canon”. Working off of my limited viewings and a vague idea of celebrating the diversity of the female experience, I put together a list of 100 films that I felt represented womanhood in some way. The list is heavily flawed, for one thing the list is skewed heavily towards the western experience and there is little to no representation from female filmmakers or even writers. I can’t say I’ve improved exponentially, but this is a work in progress. Not only do I plan on adding more films, but reviews and a bit more thought on the reasoning behind the list.
To see the original incarnation of the Female Film Canon look here:
A few things to know about the list:
- All films feature strong female role, usually a protagonist
- They deal in some way with gender issues, even as subtext.
- Shorts and experimental cinema are more than welcome, lacking only in my inexperience with them.
- List is presented alphabetically
- I am not just choosing “empowering” films because that does not in any way represent a complete portrait of what it means to be a woman. Some of my choices will also skirt a fine line with exploitation, and if you have any objection to any of my choices I am happy to hear from you.