The International Film Festival Rotterdam has announced the lineup for its main section, Spectrum: 72 features and documentaries from 32 countries, with descriptions from the Festival, running January 25 through February 5:
- Cornelia frente al espejo (Cornelia at Her Mirror) - Daniel Rosenfeld, Argentina, Hubert Bals Fund-supported film. A "meticulous and stylish film based on the story by Silvina Ocampo (1903-1993)."
- Roman Diary - Michael Pilz, Austria. A "meditative film featuring images of a park in Rome."
- Rua Aperana 52 - Júlio Bressane, Brazil. A "musical film about a street corner in Rio, edited together from old photos and the maker’s own films from the period 1957-2005."
- Lacan Palestine - Mike Hoolboom, Canada. A "found-footage essay on a complex country and its love-struck inhabitants."
- 38 témoins (38 Witnesses) - Lucas Belvaux, France, Belgium. Opening Film IFFR 2012.
- Le reste du monde (The Rest of the World) - Damien Odoul, France. A "family considers issues of identity and relationships." With Marie-Eve Nadeau, Mathieu Amalric and Emmanuelle Béart.
- The Blindfold - Garin Nugroho, Indonesia. A "topical film that deals with religion in Indonesia, stressing that fundamentalism exists in every faith."
- La leggenda di Kaspar Hauser (The Legend of Kaspar Hauser) - Davide Manuli, Italy. A "post-modern Western with Vincent Gallo."
- Ace Attorney - Miike Takashi, Japan. An "adaptation of the Nintendo game about the legal battle between defence attorney Phoenix Wright (Narimiya Hiroki) and his rival, prosecutor Miles Edgeworth (Saitoh Takumi)."
- I'm Still Alive - Peter van Houten, Netherlands. A "documentary about a poor, elderly Polish woman who has lived in many countries, including the Netherlands."
- Peace versus Justice - Klaartje Quirijns, Netherlands. A "documentary about Uganda and the relationship with the International Criminal Court in The Hague."
- Nick - Fow Pyng Hu, Netherlands. A "character study/road movie with Merijn de Jong and Marcel Hensema."
- Agonistes: The Myth of Nation - Lav Diaz, Philippines. A "philosophical, Hubert Bals Fund-supported film in which two workers leave the city in search of treasure."
- When the Lights Went Out - Pat Holden, UK. A "film about a family in Yorkshire tormented by an evil spirit, with Kate Ashfield and Steven Waddington."
- A Shape of Error - Abigail Child, US, Italy, "imaginary home movies filmed in Rome, from the lives of Frankenstein author Mary Shelley and her husband Percy."
- Francophrenia (or: Don't Kill Me, I Know Where the Baby Is) - Ian Olds, James Franco, US. A "humorous psycho-thriller based on a new script written for existing footage shot by Franco during the shooting of television series General Hospital."
- Rat Fever - Cláudio Assis, Brazil. A "lively portrait of a group of friends filmed in the working-class neighbourhoods of Recife."
- Women on the Edge - Kobayashi Masahiro, Japan, "filmed in the earthquake zone and dealing with three sisters who meet again after many years apart."
- Mondomanila - Khavn De La Cruz, Philippines, Germany, Hubert Bals Fund-supported film.
- A vingança de uma mulher (A Woman's Revenge) - Rita Azevedo Gomes, Portugal.
- Black Dove - Roh Gyeong-Tae, South Korea.
- Iceberg - Gabriel Velázquez, Spain. A "tender, wintry adolescent drama."
- The Comedy - Rick Alverson, US. A "New York hipster wastes away his days in anticipation of an inheritance from his father."
- The Hunter, Daniel Nettheim, Australia. Closing Film IFFR 2012.
- Four Suns, Bohdan Sláma, Czech Republic.
- A Temple, Umesh Vinayak Kulkarni, India.
- Bunohan (Return to Murder) - Dain Iskandar Said, Malaysia.
- Los últimos cristeros (The Last Christeros) - Matías Meyer, Mexico, Netherlands. A Hubert Bals Fund-supported film "that balances between fiction and documentary and deals with Mexicans struggling for religious freedom in the 1920s."
- Visiting Room - Alexandru Baciu and Radu Muntean, Romania.
- Punk in Africa - Keith Jones and Deon Maas, South Africa, Czech Republic.
- small roads - James Benning, US.
- Hoy no tuve miedo (Today I Felt no Fear) - Iván Fund, Argentina.
- Way of Passion - Joerg Burger, Austria.
- Les géants (The Giants) - Bouli Lanners, Belgium, France, Luxembourg.
- Histoire de mes cheveux (Story of My Hair) - Boris Lehman, Belgium, Russia.
- Monsieur Lazhar - Philippe Falardeau, Canada.