Bitte aktualisiere deinen Browser um MUBI optimal nutzen zu können.

Avaliações e Críticas

1. Sunil Chauhan's rating of the film Cocote

a bravura feature - it feels like something totally unique: 80% experimental art doc, 20% narrative-led (this part is very scant). the film is stunning visually, but i wonder if the director just let the doc part dominate as it would be seen as fascinating by film fest audiences who prob don't see this on our screens very often, even though it doesn't actually reveal much. a director i will watch out for though.

2. Harry's rating of the film Cocote

While a times feeling a tad labored, Cocote in an endlessly interesting piece of work. And although I was initially caught off guard by its alternating use of camera and colour, I ended up finding this a particularly arresting technique that captured the sense of the character's unsettled presence. I hope to see more from the director soon.

3. Superfrog's rating of the film Cocote

Did not get pulled in in spite of moment of brilliant frame composition ( the swimming pool sex scren is great breaking the screen barrier work) and a seemingly good soundtrack. Take this review with a pinch of salt as I watched the film not being terribly perky myself.

4. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Cocote

It's a bit too slight, although there are a couple of great moments here and there, but writer-director Nelson Carlo de Los Santos Arias does well with this character study of am evangelical Christian man who ends up pushed to seek revenge on the murderer of his father.

5. G x's rating of the film Cocote

An extremely ambitious film and a very successful one too. This is an interesting modern text on colonialism and identity. Leaving aside those weighty thematic concerns, it is also just a very simple revenge story. The sound design is wonderful.

6. David MacGowan's rating of the film Cocote

Wonderful and original. I liked the out of focus set-ups, the continual references to animals (alive and dead), the cuts between colour and black and white, the music. Some images will stay with me for a long time, particularly the discussion with the policeman who describes the rape of his girlfriend in front of him, framed by a doorway to the blue. “Cocote” means “neck”, in terms of revenge, as in “chicken neck”.

7. saitosouta's rating of the film Cocote

O poveste e discursivă. Un gen e schizofrenic. O direcție e inconsecventă. Cu toate acestea, acest film a o ambiție grandioasă că încercă să descrie nu numai o răzbunare și o cultură ci și Republica Dominicană, care îl face extraordinar de special. "Cocote" e unul dintre cele mai importante filme în 2018. // 物語は蛇行。ジャンルは分裂的。演出は支離滅裂。だが復讐や文化だけでなくドミニカ共和国という国を描こうとする大いなる野心があり、それが今作を素晴らしく特別な物としている。"Cocote"は2018年最も重要な映画の1つだ。

8. Margot H's rating of the film Cocote

9. JostFilms's rating of the film Cocote

Una historia de venganza, religion y familia donde director Nelson Carlos lograr penetrar la conciencia de la audiencia con tomas largas dejándote registrar cada detalle y por consecuencia meditar en cada imagen. Sin duda mi película Dominicana favorita y una que espero que inspire a los demás director a demostrar la belleza del país con historias así de fascinante como esta. Viva la Republica Dominicana!

10. Martina Attille's rating of the film Cocote

Saw this movie twice at ICA London. Really pleased to catch another viewing on MUBI.

11. OFF_FRAME's rating of the film Cocote

Loved the bold stylistic choices here and the throbbing, rhythmic soundtrack that contrasted so beautifully with the natural sounds of daily life. Cut out about 20 mins of death rites and I would have given it another star. It's more of an experience than a character study in that the number of close-ups on Alberto are so few it's hard to really get inside his head but fun to join him. 3 stars

12. Jason's rating of the film Cocote

Few things are more rewarding (to this particular cinephile) than an artist launching out to do cinema in an entirely new way and achieving a fruitful synthesis. COCOTE is a supreme exemplar. The assemblage of formal approaches here is not only arresting but speaks to personal and spiritual dislocation. We almost never see films of such a vision as this made by the inhabitants of generally overlooked regions.

13. josé neves's rating of the film Cocote

Digital. Aspects of contemporary cinema, LEFFEST 1: to make various styles within the same narrative, pretending to be meaningful for that very reason - that is, make the narration more significant than narrative - if it's a merit of a cinema that has always been modern, it is also a demerit, when it's random and pretentious, forcing so much to be "wow". This is an extreme case of that expenditure.

14. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film Cocote