Note & Recenzii

1. Superfrog's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

Meh, sure the image is greatly experimental and creative and the film pushes the limits. Also the characters are clearly quite good. In the end, it fails at being an engaging film for me, so it fails at being something I'll recommend. Life is too short for academic exercices.

2. ejonline's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

I only knew Peter from Ran, so it was a revelation to see this early, debut work. I don't know that I would say I enjoyed watching this, but it certainly was a distinct experience. In retrospect, I think there were times that I was staring at it rather being with it. Perhaps there is only so much Japanese violence inflected Greek drama I can take. Perhaps that Brechtian alienation was part of the point.

3. Ricardo's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

Funeral Parade of Roses is an intricate sum of audiovisual elements that captures with precision the complex contradictions of post-war Japan. A ravaging modernity exhales however the truth of a never-ending past in inner and outer conflict. Imported occidental transvestism cohabits with local gender-bending kabuki tradition as the tragedy of Oedipus reveals like nothing but identical to many Noh plays.

4. Fernando's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

Não lembro a última vez que um filme me impactou tanto, principalmente pelo fato de conhecer muita coisa da produção cultural pós-guerra japonesa.

5. Adam Metwally's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

6. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

Keeps you on your toes—you never know when it's going to go for laughs or assault you. Everything from Godard to Resnais to Brakhage to (best of all) some 4th-wall-breaking, which reveals true tenderness behind transgressive cinema. Too many avant-detours for me, and the possible meanings of its use of Sophocles aren't worth my weak stomach. But it's a truly free film. Fun fact: in France, it's rated "12 and over."

7. Briany's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

Grim drama about the tribulations of Transexuals in Japan to be celebrated for it’s use of the counter culture; there’s some fun to be had hanging with the oddball characters in various states of consciousness and undress. Ultimately though it’s quite a damaging conservative nightmare, maybe that’s just life.

8. chase's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

masks morality guy that looks like che so many scenes i have to go back and watch the campy fight scenes / intimate violence..ok ill stop now lol

9. Jorge Mourinha's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

Greek tragedy transposed to late-sixties Shinjuku gay underworld via tongue-in-cheek meta-fictional narrative and formal(ist) experimenting straight out of a colour-drained psychedelic alternate universe. Far out!

10. konyu's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

ผสมกันระหว่างสารคดีสัมภาษณ์ เอาตัวแสดงนั่นแหละมาถามความเป็นgay กับเรื่องแต่งที่ให้ตัวแสดงเหล่านั้นมาเล่น กับกลุ่มคนทำหนังที่พี้กัน ...weirdๆหน่อย พล็อตพ่อมีอะไรกับลูกที่เคยคิดว่าหนังญี่ปุ่นเรื่องไรหว่าเป็นเจ้าแรกที่คิด อ่าว...เรื่องนี้มาก่อนอีกแฮะ แบบ เฮ้ย เหวออยู่ แล้วก็พบว่าการปูเรื่องของภาพนิ่งที่มีรอยบุหรี่ตรงหน้าชายคนนั้นนี่ แหม่ มันได้เว้ย

11. Creighton Blinn's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

90% of this film is brilliant while the other 10% is dragged down by gratuitous violence. I suppose Matsumoto is riffing on Oedipus but the tragedy feels more exploitative than earned. A shame since the rest of the film is so striking . . .

12. hiespin8's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

Matsumoto's debut film, Parade Funeral of Roses, is more than an interesting piece. Melding many forms of cinema into this drama about the 60's Japanese underground - really asking what hides beneath us - it is worth the watch on more than just one level and purpose. It's a captivating tale about where we will meet destiny.

13. adamjaymorris's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

Sophocles + Meshes of the Afternoon x French New Wave

14. Katherine Lo's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

It's difficult to articulate the feeling - it has all of the right components that make a film truly lovable while remaining completely relevant, 50 years ahead! Thank you Mubi for letting us relive this remarkable, charming piece!

15. Un Gu's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

16. lou.'s rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

This is indubitably "beautiful", but also, indubitably not for me. #sorrynotsorry

17. Giorgio's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

The film is a glance on the underground LGBT world of Tokyo in the 60s combining a clear reference to a classical tragedy with avant-garde style. Different genres are mixed from documentary like scenes to surreal fighting scenes. The result is never boring and really interesting.

18. Carlos Pineda's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

Un muy filme, con riesgos altos para una sociedad en la cual muchos asuntos son tabus o de la esfera absolutamente privada o íntima. Además, tiene muchos aspectos visuales y sonoros, sin dejar de lado los ideológicos y políticos, logrando un trabajo con una riqueza inusual. Una buena mezcla de elementos documentales, detrás de cámara (sin serlo de modo estricto), experimentación, y documento sociológico

19. José Fernando Cardoso's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

Absolutely essential. Beautiful and shocking.

20. Edgar Aristimunho's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

Excelente filme. Uma aula de cinema.

21. Mauro's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

Matsumoto learned a lot from the Nouvelle Vague, and he learned it very well. It’s a precious and perfect movie. Unmissable.

22. Duarte Ferreira's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

With Funeral Parade of Roses, Matsumoto explores the transgender scene of the late sixties underground Tokyo in an exuberant jumble of a film, an ever-shifting mesh of audiovisual clippings, motifs and counter-culture ideas mixed in with a quite a few tablespoons of LCD, producing a beautiful black-and-white substance that reeks of sexual desire, sorrowful blood and personal unfulfillment.

23. Malcolm Harris's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

Now that's what I call Brecht!

24. generallaurodelvillar's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

This movie is a unique experience.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7