Note & Recenzii

1. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Hostiles

I watched this film on recommendation of a friend who called it a masterpiece. Now this friend is crazy about American landscapes and writers of the Jim Harrison type and hence I understand why he liked this film so much. The scenery is indeed gorgeous. As for me, if I also liked a lot the scenery I found the screenplay a little too simple for my taste. Recommended, though.

2. saitosouta's rating of the film Hostiles

Compared with Rick Alverson's haunting and thorough "The Mountain", there is the self-indulgence and arrogance of whites in excessively arid "Hostiles". Dir. Cooper tries to depict the reconciliation between whites and native American, called "Indian". But don't you think it takes too much for granted that the white, who dominates "Indians" by brutal violence, says "let bygones be bygones" and it is accepted?

3. Amandio Filipe Moura's rating of the film Hostiles

Compelling story, complex characters and beautiful scenery

4. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film Hostiles

I loved the movie for the way it slowly developed its main character's arc amidst the amazing scenery. But like another reviewer said before me, the change in the protagonist's outlook on life felt at once undermotivated and a bit too obvious. Nonetheless I still enjoyed the ride.

5. lucia lurzo's rating of the film Hostiles

6. Laura G.'s rating of the film Hostiles

Beautiful landscape. Rosamund Pike killed me. Her pain and his pain broke me. The scene where he is on his knees crying to the sky and the scene where she screams in pain you can't ignore. The scene of his last killing with the music it's an emotional earthquake. The end kinda ruined it a bit for me, felt it was cliché American, acculturation. "They are human beings, they were here first". Never forget.

7. Jeremy Ashlyn's rating of the film Hostiles

Almost nothing you don't already expect happens. It's laughable. Meditative pace just about makes up for it. Rosamund Pike can't act.

8. Nicholas Gregory's rating of the film Hostiles

At a crossroads of quality. The dramatics of Bale's moral dilemma of battle-born hatred hits powerfully at first. But it also means its plain-and-typical arc of realization is not just too on-the-nose but droned-on and repeated. It does nothing unique or surprising with this we-are-all-the-same principle. Commendable old-fashioned western pace, though, even if it doesn’t have the literacy to make it feel needed.

9. Professional Voyeur's rating of the film Hostiles

10. vordven's rating of the film Hostiles

11. misu's rating of the film Hostiles

12. grotesc's rating of the film Hostiles

13. Carlos Filipe Freitas's rating of the film Hostiles

Protracted, deficiently paced, and lugubrious... Cooper's first misstep.

14. Luca Taurini's rating of the film Hostiles

Un ottimo road movie in salsa western, peccato solo per la sceneggiatura non impeccabile. 3,5*

15. Eric Ortiz García's rating of the film Hostiles

16. Mr.Rager's rating of the film Hostiles

I'm truly impressed of how Scott Cooper put his mark on this movie being on hostile ground. First of all he did a terrific job in writing the screenplay and then how clever he managed to bring around him all the right people to supporting him in making this story to work almost perfectly. It's not easy at all to make a modern western to have the chemistry of the old ones. 9.25/10

17. Dan. R's rating of the film Hostiles

Breathtaking cinematography. Incredible performance by Christian Bale. If the film had continued like the first half of the film, it could have been one of my favourite films in the last decade. Unfortunately, the film drags on, gets caught up in liberal race politics, and ends rather flatly. If it had focused on brotherhood, war and mortality, it might have been very profound.

18. DimasRimbaud's rating of the film Hostiles

19. J.J. 'Jake' Gittes's rating of the film Hostiles

The train is about to leave. At this moment. At this moment I was wondering: is it a masterpiece or not. He steppted into it. Yeah. This movie is telling us about the inexcusable violence done by both sides. What I got is the wish for America (or american people) to apologize to the Native Americans for mistreating them. As they did. Stunning performance, a bit slow, sometimes too slow. But I love it. Masterpiece.

20. ABVH's rating of the film Hostiles

We are all......Hostiles.

21. FCC 86's rating of the film Hostiles

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted"

22. Giles J Davis's rating of the film Hostiles

A beautiful slow burning western encompassing the circle of life/death, trauma, recovery & retribution. An allegory for the end of a civilisation.

23. chanandre's rating of the film Hostiles

The weight of western guilt. A western that atones and says 'I am sorry Native America'.

24. Gabriele Malagoli's rating of the film Hostiles