Note & Recenzii

1. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film The Death of Mr. Lăzărescu

Quietly devastating, quietly incredible, this is part black comedy and part emotional gutpunch as we are shown one night in which the main character is diagnosed and moved from hospital to hospital, his situation worsened by those who don't do enough to help him, until it is perhaps too late. Director Crisit Puiu, who also co-wrote the script, does a magnificent job, as do all of the cast members.

2. ydpopov@gmail.com's rating of the film The Death of Mr. Lăzărescu

In the end we all die alone even if surrounded by professionals. Mr. Lazarescu seemed to have been mercifully spared being cognizant of his last hours immersed in seeming human indifference. But then again what can anyone really do when our time runs out?

3. posolutely@gmail.com's rating of the film The Death of Mr. Lăzărescu

Slowly building tale of a tragedy foretold, the bleak tale of a man trapped in a medical bureaucratic system that keeps denying him the urgent lifesaving treatment he needs. A critique of all such situations, all too common in underdevelped countires, but also in the richer ones too.

4. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Death of Mr. Lăzărescu

Ignore my rating. I couldn't watch it. I might have been able 20 years ago, but this stuff hits waaaaaay too close to home now.

5. moviedream's rating of the film The Death of Mr. Lăzărescu

An amazing indictment on how people in the medical field are torn from day to day crises to become almost numb to the feelings of their patients.

6. Gryphonix's rating of the film The Death of Mr. Lăzărescu

Alternatingly irritating and tragic. Could be the film to persuade viewers to like cats, since they are such kind and considerate creatures compared to over half of the characters in this movie.

7. Michał Betnerski's rating of the film The Death of Mr. Lăzărescu

At first glance, hey, the Dardenne brothers being copied again in a row? At second glance - hey, a truly excellent study of the functioning of the Romanian health care system - and not only of the Romanian health care system.

8. Seesaw's rating of the film The Death of Mr. Lăzărescu

Most of the audience cannot help laughing in front of the representation of shamefulness. Is his behavior far from ours? However, one's despair could be a relief with mysterious satisfaction. Knowing that such thing works in relative to filmmaking, Cristi Puiu who is also a modest man knows when to turn off the camera.

9. Loz Loory's rating of the film The Death of Mr. Lăzărescu

A very dark comedy and indictment of the healthcare system and life in general. Everyone is overworked and underpaid, so everyone lashes out whoever is beneath them in the pecking order. From the neighbor lashing out at his wife to the neurologist lashing out at the medic, everyone tells everyone else what they're doing wrong. Hard to believe these people were actors; they so thoroughly inhabited their roles.

10. Malcolm Harris's rating of the film The Death of Mr. Lăzărescu

As an American it's slightly hard to read the political meaning because our standards for health care are so low relative to per capita income.

11. hiespin8's rating of the film The Death of Mr. Lăzărescu

Cristi Puiu's dark comedy, The Death of Mister Lāzārescu (2005), unveils a frustrating experience. It displays the all too real difficulty of finding proper attention for the aged and "undeserving." In this, it makes the people that do care stand out all the more. You may not laugh, but you will appreciate this film for what it says.

12. Gia de Almeida's rating of the film The Death of Mr. Lăzărescu

Check this out Hollywood, how to make a gorgeous, moving, stomach churning film without needing 500 billion dollars. I barely know anything about Mr. Lazarescu, how do I care about him so much? I think it's mainly due to the fact that his humanity is so present that we can't help but feel for him as our equal... I couldn't look away.

13. mis marg's rating of the film The Death of Mr. Lăzărescu

Kindness, competance and care, without which the hospital is a demeaning, chaotic demoralising place. Heart -rending, and in no way , funny, a father and brother is about to be whisked off to oblivion without any familiar presence.

14. richard east's rating of the film The Death of Mr. Lăzărescu

In no sense a comedy....traumatic and very human drama beutifully made and constructed. Critcal of elitist figures....medics it shows a death so close to life.

15. Charlie Douglas-Hamilton's rating of the film The Death of Mr. Lăzărescu

An investigation of modern death, filled with absurdist bureaucracy and numbed individuals. In a way an inverted protagonist's journey, creating a character filled with uniqueness and quirks, then proceeding to strip them to tabula rasa. Capturing the undignified and humiliating loneliness of death - torn away as senselessly as we are thrown in. However, feels a little cold as a film.

16. Ted Eames's rating of the film The Death of Mr. Lăzărescu

There are moments of bleak humour here, but the use of the word 'comedy' in descriptions of this film is completely misleading. This is a tragic portrayal of loneliness and the lack of humanity in the care systems we under-fund. Very similar things have happened in health systems in the UK, the USA and elsewhere. The film may be Romanian but the theme (lovelessness in our world) is universal.

17. Soheil Norouzi's rating of the film The Death of Mr. Lăzărescu

one of the bests, a masterpiece from Romania

18. tintinmugshot's rating of the film The Death of Mr. Lăzărescu

Fantastic and thrilling movie about the reality into many hospitals, people treated like cars into workshops.

19. Kenneth Gentry's rating of the film The Death of Mr. Lăzărescu

20. Ruiz Buñuel's rating of the film The Death of Mr. Lăzărescu

It's not as good as Kafka, sorry. But it's still a Kafkaesque ride. I wanted it to get slightly more absurd and surreal, but I also admire it for stubbornly keeping its air of realism.

21. Pancho Legaspi's rating of the film The Death of Mr. Lăzărescu

Lazarescu Dante Remus is an alcoholic

22. VincentVendetta's rating of the film The Death of Mr. Lăzărescu

I don't know how you can consider this a comedy, unless you're the most mean-spirited person in the world, or a fan of Haneke's usual crimes against humanity. Between the cruel employees and a drunk idiot patient, nothing much gets out except passive-aggresive humiliation for the audience - you might as well wait for two and a half hours in a real hospital, or better yet, watch Robert Morin's Pow! Pow! Noël instead.

23. Duncan Gray's rating of the film The Death of Mr. Lăzărescu

Such a simple premise that you shouldn't miss the ambition: a 2.5 hour deathbed scene that's tragic but not maudlin, funny but not glib, cutting but not mean-spirited, absurd without ditching realism, and never, ever cheap. The result is one of the more frightening looks at the inevitable, a truly human nightmare that shows how many big ideas a scrappy film can grasp without succumbing to delusions of grandeur.

24. Brotherdeacon's rating of the film The Death of Mr. Lăzărescu

A VERY GOOD MOTION PICTURE on very many fronts. Deserves its international reputation.

← Previous 1 3 4