Bitte aktualisiere deinen Browser um MUBI optimal nutzen zu können.

Bewertungen & Beurteilungen

1. FISCHER's rating of the film The Virgin Suicides

Un premier film au charme envoûtant et morbide pour lequel la presse de l'époque s'est souvent enthousiasmée, avec quelques bonnes raisons... www.cinefiches.com

2. michalk's rating of the film The Virgin Suicides

this movie is like pysanka and if I want to listen to Todd Rundgren I can always spin the record

3. Le Ciné Chez Nico's rating of the film The Virgin Suicides

4. paradise lost's rating of the film The Virgin Suicides

5. Arundhati Roychoudhury's rating of the film The Virgin Suicides

Sofia Coppola is a visionary filmmaker. This, her first film adapted from Jeffery Eugenides' eponymous novel, is a breathtaking statement of originality and unique style, which explores themes of female psychological and emotional isolation, as memories recounted through the eyes of adolescent boys. The feeling of being trapped and ostracised in a man's world is visible through various color symbolism.

6. Theresa's rating of the film The Virgin Suicides

7. VincentVendetta's rating of the film The Virgin Suicides

I've been haunted by this film for years, now I see it in its entirety and it's nothing. There are great moments of innocence here (the homecoming dance, the morning football field, the dialogue of vinyls), but The Virgin Suicides never succeeds at tackling its central subjects. It chooses to keep an aura of mystery in the middle of suburban clichés, and the illusion is very thin.

8. Duncan Gray's rating of the film The Virgin Suicides

"Obviously, doctor, you've never been a 13-year-old girl"—thus a career was launched. Yes, it's easy to get green-lit if you're a Coppola, but talent is talent, and Sofia already had a dreamy eye for emotive imagery. Whether she has a masterpiece of substantive wisdom to match it is something I'm not sure the last 20 years have answered. But it's lovely to see a close-up on girls' lives done with a woman's savvy.

9. 天国's rating of the film The Virgin Suicides

i didn't like this film, I will never like this film. I can't stand Coppola's way of casting, filming, directing. I enjoyed nothing of this pic, uh.

10. Siniestro's rating of the film The Virgin Suicides

11. marcabranca's rating of the film The Virgin Suicides

the imprisonment of being a girl

12. askapsaskis's rating of the film The Virgin Suicides

Tonally this is all over the place, but it does lend a certain kind of charm. There's that very real feeling developed of being locked out of others' subjectivities and really believing them to be much richer and more complex than your own. Voyeuristic fascination with the inner lives of others. Love the close-ups and Coppola's style generally. "Obviously, doctor, you've never been a 13-year-old girl."

13. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film The Virgin Suicides

14. nicolecahali's rating of the film The Virgin Suicides

15. Lucia0550's rating of the film The Virgin Suicides

16. Richmond Hill's rating of the film The Virgin Suicides

Detached to the point of distraction this is a competently assured account of a period, mood and tone but not much approaching satisfactory drama. Not that one needs things laid on with a trowel but it’s clear early on that this will remain airily evasive to the last instead relying on a too-varied panoply of masking techniques rather than a firm grip on storytelling.

17. KDMV4's rating of the film The Virgin Suicides

Read the book first, do yourself that favor. This is a strong compliment to the book however, and a neatly executed film. Minus 1 star, too many bits of the story were cut out for the sake of brevity, to the detriment of the film, I think.

18. Dada Kubin's rating of the film The Virgin Suicides

“Virgin Suicides” has haunted me since I first saw it in 2000 – back then it felt somehow very distressing – but now that I watched it again, it felt lighter and funnier despite the tragedy. There’s a lot of gentle humour about life as a teenager, a sort of fantasy world that most of us go through, and not all survive. A good movie that suits well for the first movie date as well, trust me.

19. ant's rating of the film The Virgin Suicides

That third star is for Air's incredible soundtrack

20. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film The Virgin Suicides

21. spasmolytic's rating of the film The Virgin Suicides

22. Material Salva+ion's rating of the film The Virgin Suicides

After all these years, I decided on a 2nd viewing of The Virgin Suicides to challenge my former indifference when I first saw it at 18. Everyone seemed to love it, except for me! If anything changed it was only for the worst; It magnified the futile vacuity of its content - a pretty pastel colored portrait of teen anxiety and sacrificed youth gazed at through the "cool" lens and numb eyes of Coppola's vision.

23. Malik Dowdy's rating of the film The Virgin Suicides

3.8 Stars. What it means to be alone and curious from the perspective of innocence?

24. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film The Virgin Suicides