1. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film 24 City

Jia Zhangke questions whether or not something that is fiction can be more or less impactful and important than something that is a documentary, a poignant and beautiful question.

2. Nachtreich's rating of the film 24 City

3. Diego Carrera's rating of the film 24 City

Would Joan Chen's scene be one of the most poignant pieces of this century's cinema so far?

4. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film 24 City

5. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film 24 City

6. Matthew Chuckran's rating of the film 24 City

I'm embarrassed to say I didn't realize that this wasn't a documentary until I recognized Joan Chen. This is just a testament to how flawlessly Jia emulates the sentiments of a Chinese demographic that has witnessed a rather dramatic socioeconomic evolution.

7. David R Williams's rating of the film 24 City

The history of China from the late 20th to early 21st centuries told through Factory 420 and the people who worked there. It is a film about the passage of time and the changes it brings not just to the people but the spaces they inhabit. A touching film beautifully photographed.

8. Emilionautilus's rating of the film 24 City

Magnifico docudrama, historias de otro mundo que resultan tan cercanas.

9. jamesey's rating of the film 24 City

On one hand there are some very touching emotional interviews with people in the city. On the other hand there is clearly some biased narration that makes me think we aren't hearing the entire story.

10. Ben Loory's rating of the film 24 City

Great movie. Little Flower's story about the photograph might stay with me forever.

11. Chris Gillespie's rating of the film 24 City

China's transformation from rural communist industry to capitalist powerhouse is a topic that never fails to interest me. All of Zhangke's movies shows this transformation in brilliant fashion. I had a hard time distinguishing acted interviews from the real ones, which speaks to the power and mystery of these stories. Joan Chen's part was the best.

12. Darragh McCarthy's rating of the film 24 City

Simply brilliant. Never before have I seen anything that 'poignant' so perfectly fits the description of, so I find it almost unnecessary to describe it as anything else. I wish other films possessed anywhere close to the emotion and feeling that each of the 112 minutes of 24 City contained laced within it. Just beautiful.

13. Cichlisuite's rating of the film 24 City

A wonderfully artful depiction of the stories of people tied to a factory in Southwest China saying much about Chinese history and culture while also touching universal human themes. Blurring the line between real and acted it's beautiful to look at and the stories of the workers and their families are often quite remarkable and elegantly told. I have to confess I didn't recognise Joan Chen from her Twin Peaks days.

14. Nikola Enchev's rating of the film 24 City

24 City answers the question: what does it feel like to be a robot keeping a giant machine alive? Much like Kafka's Castle, the robots don't know what the machine is, where it is from or what it is thinking.

15. youngdoug's rating of the film 24 City

A reminder that every person has their unique backstory. The world of humans is an ever growing intricate web driven by these centres of emotional lives. This is what the film does beautifully. The global wars and peace, the national decisions and the local events all dance with the emotional lives of participants and bystanders. In this case all those involved in Factory 402.

16. raggiodisole's rating of the film 24 City

a city grows up and out. three generations reflect on the changes, profound sadness tinges all. Eyes open to China. Thank you.

17. DrFirestone's rating of the film 24 City

Beautifully shot, very interesting. Through the story of Factory 402 we learn how China changed during last 50 years, and explains how huge is the generation gap between the people who helped build the factory and those who are beginning their adult life. I enjoyed watching 24 City a lot, however as it's a blend of documentary and fiction I still wonder which were true stores and persons and which were fictional...

18. SiIencio's rating of the film 24 City

24 City, with its documentary-style cinematography, blends an unique insight into the stunning socio-political and economic transformation of China over the past 50 years with the effects of the generational gap that ensued following these mammoth changes. The intimate & personal interviews reveal aspects of both sheer brutality and candid innocence in the lives of the people who helped transform XXI century China

19. ihor's rating of the film 24 City

Incredible depiction of the change occurring in China set over three generations and the evolution of one factory. The symbols and culture of communism slowly disappear with time while the ideology of capitalism is smoothly emerging. Told through revealing personal stories and stunning digital cinematography which caught me off guard at first but really helped to capture a slick realistic depiction.

20. Angel's rating of the film 24 City

Part fiction, part documentary. An engaging perspective on Chinese history.

21. matt's rating of the film 24 City

Intellectually filling, emotionally filling, and visually filling.

22. Andrea's rating of the film 24 City

Someone could tell me if this movie from Jha Zhangke is available? I can't find it anywhere...

23. TFCHooligan69's rating of the film 24 City

A moving and beautifully shot blend of documentary and fiction that provides the viewer with a glimpse into China's not too distant past while hurtling toward an uncertain future. See if you can watch this after Wang's Tie Xi Qu.

24. hksean's rating of the film 24 City

Great filming, shaking and beautiful. A mirror image of the process of globalization.