1. Lex Lucas's rating of the film A Dedicated Life

This film is a journey toward death in the company of Inoue. It's touching how I felt so close to Inoue. We get to live with him each stages until he goes up the stairs. I liked the way Hara seeked for lies Inoue wrote in his biography. It's like Inoue wanted to change the memories that would live on after he would pass away, making alive a new story of him. However it's Hara's most "conventional in the form" film.

2. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film A Dedicated Life

3. andrine sæther's rating of the film A Dedicated Life

to be so dedicated is the only thing, I will also remember the back of his wife in the kitchen after the guests had gone

4. Thomas's rating of the film A Dedicated Life

Such a complex character - temperamental, articulate, passionate about life and highly productive. There seems to be little translation of his work unfortunately. A real insight into post-war Japan and its literary circles.

5. Ronja's rating of the film A Dedicated Life

it's probably the only documentary about a writer which starts with a striptease performed by the writer himself. But it's only a trifle. Even the sight of his bloody liver put down on a plate is a trifle compared to how much passion, love and vigour he managed to evoke in other people. I especially loved the scenes with his friend, female author (does anyone know her name?).

6. averpues's rating of the film A Dedicated Life

I knew nothing about this writer. A very good job and treatment of the concept of truth

7. Cid Medeiros's rating of the film A Dedicated Life

I suppose would be more involved if I knew a little bit more about the writer. Still it's a touching and sometimes scarily intimate documentary. The fact Inoue was a nuke witness and survivor makes his writing of great interest.

8. Post Ironic's rating of the film A Dedicated Life

A fascinating documentary on a writer I know absolutely nothing about. Kazuo Hara is brilliant as ever, relating the story of the eccentric Inoue in a way that almost seems fiction at times its so fascinating, and others blurs into that realm of the too real where the banal resides. My second favourite of his after The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On.

9. T Mills's rating of the film A Dedicated Life

The power of this film is diminished by an overlong runtime. Also it tries to be too many movies at once. I believe it would have been stronger if Hara had stuck only with his subject's personality and contradictions. When he veers into family history, it loses steam. Nevertheless still evidence that Hara is a master

10. David R Williams's rating of the film A Dedicated Life

The best documentaries dig deep and touch you at levels far below the surface. Here I find myself fascinated and moved by a man I had never heard of before this. Now I want to know more and to read his works and to understand his philosophy and his life on an even deeper and more intimate level.

11. Alex's rating of the film A Dedicated Life

I am always impressed at the way Hara's movies effect me. I am thinking about them for days afterwards, both regarding my own film-making and art, but also regarding my life (that is the kicker!).

12. Mikhail Karadimov's rating of the film A Dedicated Life

Interesting question: fiction or reality? Which is which? Documentarians Hara and Morris would like us to believe there is no line of distinction, and if there is, it's a blurred one at best. Wonderful film, full of questions, and full of hard work on the viewer's part. Can't wait to introduce myself to Inoue's works.

13. Miggy Angel's rating of the film A Dedicated Life

this has got its claws into me. shall always remember the one who couldn't survive without lies

14. tintinmugshot's rating of the film A Dedicated Life

15. Myles's rating of the film A Dedicated Life

Weirdly intimate portrait of an author most Westerners have never heard of. By weirdly intimate, I mean we see half the guy's liver get removed and dropped on a metal tray like hamburger meat.

16. Jane de Deus's rating of the film A Dedicated Life

Stumbled onto this one completely naively. Have no idea what just happened, but like the effects a lot.