1. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Alphaville

2. Morris Bros.'s rating of the film Alphaville

3. David R Williams's rating of the film Alphaville

Not my favorite Godard. Lemmy's craggy face holds your interest for a bit of time but his deadpan parody performance of classic film noir/hardboiled detectives gets old quickly. Anna Karina seems distracted and detached. ‘’Reality is too complex. What it needs is fiction to make it real,” says the computer. Not real enough.

4. m00njaguar's rating of the film Alphaville

Godard is hit or miss with me. "Alphaville" lands somewhere in between. Some impressive camera work, clever nods to film noir and effective use of 1960s Paris architecture. Yet overall it leaves me blank when it ends. The film seemed pointless, a common critique I've heard of Godard, which requires watching again till one finally gets it. So I will do that plus read some critics to get a clue.

5. kdd's rating of the film Alphaville

Anyone else notice that Alphaville ends a lot like Blade Runner, with the antihero driving out of town with a robotic younger woman?

6. glhrmefc's rating of the film Alphaville

what I most liked about this sci-fi/futuristic movie is that it manages to transport you into this scenes/environment through the narrative and great plot, without the need for special effects or having a white cliché room full of light.

7. Josh the Bookseller's rating of the film Alphaville

Bizarre, Kafkan congregation of compelling pseudo-Futurism & Extremely French Affectations. For Ever Godard? More like Some Times Godard.

8. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Alphaville

We're pretty much leading to that society portrayed here. One of the best Godard's around.

9. Myles's rating of the film Alphaville

I've never really got it but I've always really loved it.

10. Loz Loory's rating of the film Alphaville

Gorgeous cinematography. A surfeit of spiral staircases. Towards the last third, the movie began to drag a little, though this could be because the material has since been rehashed in lesser films, and is no longer so fresh. The ending is reminiscent of the end of "Blade Runner."

11. Robert H. Stevens's rating of the film Alphaville

Brooding, paranoid and nebulous are both our protagonist Lemmy Caution and his cybernetic stalker the Alpha 60, the core of Alphaville. This film set the standard for sci-fi noir.

12. gabi gabi gabi's rating of the film Alphaville

13. Monkey Flix's rating of the film Alphaville

This is what happens when somebody who knows nothing about science fiction tries to make a science fiction film.

14. Fab S's rating of the film Alphaville

Excellente distopie mêlant IA, culte de la logique, fascisme et symboles de la modernité d'époque (Brutalisme en architecture, voitures etc...). Les hommes sont exécutés car ils ont pleuré, les femmes ne sont que bonnes à être des objets de désire. La Novlangue est présente partout et personne ne se comprend. Excellent

15. mike's rating of the film Alphaville

16. the_mentaculus's rating of the film Alphaville

As mentally dense a movie as you'll ever find. Aiming at an audience of intellectuals (and/)or artists, Godard's self-perpetuating monotony of tired sales pitches for universality - and his lifeless, concrete landscape hinting at some kind of failed technological achievement - is more horror than sci-fi or noir.

17. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Alphaville

Crazy ol' Godard trying to do his best neo-noir. Combines film noir's hard-boiled detective with sci-fi's dystopian future, mixed up in a big ol' bowl of Godard's wacky film style, and you get Alphaville. It's an interesting picture and somewhat engaging... but if I had to listen to that croaky-voiced narrator one more minute, I would have shot myself in the head ...in a black-and-white stylistic manner, of course.

18. kathmeep's rating of the film Alphaville

"Your voice, your eyes, your hands, your lips. Our silences, our words. Light that goes, light that returns. A single smile between us. Away, away, says hate; closer, closer, says love. Increasingly I see the human form as a lover's dialogue. The heart has but one mouth. Everything by chance. A glance, a word. Because I love you. We must advance to live. I went toward you, endlessly toward the light."

19. Scott Dubin's rating of the film Alphaville

What people say about Godard films are more interesting than the films. This one is a low budget movie where an actor drives a Ford Mustang but the story assures us it's an interstellar ship: why let lack of budget get in the way of an intergalactic plot? The movie mixes genre with a sort of Dick Tracy meets Cold War spy flick but doesn't really work. Godard's American private eye saves the world with poetry.

20. FISCHER's rating of the film Alphaville

Dans une lointaine galaxie, Lemmy Caution, célèbre agent secret, part, mené à bien une mission dans un univers de dictature et de tyrannie ..... www.cinefiches.com

21. Alcock Hitchfred's rating of the film Alphaville

Awesome. It was a little too preachy for me, but stylish and poignant nonetheless.

22. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Alphaville

2-3. This is a really hard movie to approach because honestly most of it is world-building and bald, philosophical exposition. There's very, very little conflict up until the end when the movie finally spins fully off into abstractly expressionistic visuals, gun violence, and direct philosophical confrontations. Even if the ideas (of which there are many) turn you on, its base is fairly flawed.

23. Trunfos's rating of the film Alphaville

24. MistaRichard's rating of the film Alphaville

Although I'm not really sure I understood the plot to its entirety (which is probably my fault, and not the movie's), I do feel as if this has made me "understand" post-nouvelle-vague french cinema a little better. Recommended watch.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7