1. Philippe Lajède's rating of the film Alphaville

2. Scott Dubin's rating of the film Alphaville

What people say about Godard films are more interesting than the films. This one is a low budget movie where an actor drives a Ford Mustang but the story assures us it's an interstellar ship: why let lack of budget get in the way of an intergalactic plot? The movie mixes genre with a sort of Dick Tracy meets Cold War spy flick but doesn't really work. Godard's American private eye saves the world with poetry.

3. FISCHER's rating of the film Alphaville

Dans une lointaine galaxie, Lemmy Caution, célèbre agent secret, part, mené à bien une mission dans un univers de dictature et de tyrannie ..... www.cinefiches.com

4. Alcock Hitchfred's rating of the film Alphaville

Awesome. It was a little too preachy for me, but stylish and poignant nonetheless.

5. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Alphaville

2-3. This is a really hard movie to approach because honestly most of it is world-building and bald, philosophical exposition. There's very, very little conflict up until the end when the movie finally spins fully off into abstractly expressionistic visuals, gun violence, and direct philosophical confrontations. Even if the ideas (of which there are many) turn you on, its base is fairly flawed.

6. Trunfos's rating of the film Alphaville

7. MistaRichard's rating of the film Alphaville

Although I'm not really sure I understood the plot to its entirety (which is probably my fault, and not the movie's), I do feel as if this has made me "understand" post-nouvelle-vague french cinema a little better. Recommended watch.

8. dordairobert's rating of the film Alphaville

9. Hoshyar's rating of the film Alphaville

Alphaville is a movie about a dystopian totalitarian nation, ruled by a machine, where all the emotions are banned, like poetry and love; questioning the "unquestionable" it is, as well, not allowed and some words are completely forbidden. The concept of "the big brother is watching you" by George Orwell is completely there.

10. Aivaras_Z's rating of the film Alphaville

Godard's take on a dystopia, combining elements of sci-fi and noir. Can get quite hard to follow, so it takes time and multiple viewings to truly enjoy. Anna Karina is wonderful in this one.

11. Ethan's rating of the film Alphaville

Science fiction film noir from Godard, what more could you ask for in a film. The Criterion needs to get this to the blu-ray soon.

12. Cependant's rating of the film Alphaville

La répétition de l'absurde.

13. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Alphaville

14. Balthaz21's rating of the film Alphaville

15. Arf's rating of the film Alphaville

non riesco a farmi prendere da Godard, c'è qualche scena o qualche dialogo che mi colpisce ma tutto sommato mi annoia da morire e non riesce a coinvolgermi

16. opandadodavid's rating of the film Alphaville

17. T. J. Mesen's rating of the film Alphaville

Under Alphaville's notion that a society based on technocratic efficiency will lead to a totalitarian state lies embedded JLG's greatest idea. In his dystopia the cinema is a thing of the past: "The old cinerama museums." "Mr. Nosferatu ... that man no longer exists." Yet in the end, it's a hero out of the movies (Lemmy Caution) that saves the day, suggesting that there is actually no longer a world without cinema.

18. telasi's rating of the film Alphaville

19. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Alphaville

20. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Alphaville

This is the one that opened the door on Godard's aesthetic for me. I can remember the sensation-- what seemed ridiculous suddenly revealed itself to be sublime (but still ridiculous).

21. Mugino's rating of the film Alphaville

Perhaps because I am a person of science and logic, Godard comes across as more oppressively didactic than Alpha 60. Instead of the romanticism everyone cites, I see only irony and vacuous thought in "je vous aime". Words have been stripped of more meaning than from the dictionaries of Alphaville. The ideas are grand but the execution is a bit lacking. Not something I would want to see again.

22. josh scam's rating of the film Alphaville

23. Gerdrût's rating of the film Alphaville

“We live in the void of metamorphoses, but the echo that runs through the day… that echo beyond time, anguish or caress. Are we near to our conscience, or far from it?”

24. caeletur's rating of the film Alphaville