1. David R Williams's rating of the film Araya

Brutal. A life of nearly endless toil punctuated by a few brief moments of joy, of love, of caring, before the vicious cycle begins again.

2. Luke's rating of the film Araya

Of all the images in this film, this was a peculiar one chosen.

3. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Araya

Unfortunately for me, I could not get past the extremely awful voice-over narration. It is condescending and redundant, telling you pretty much what you are seeing onscreen. The "story" seems paper thin although the photography is quite beautiful. The images are clearly the main strength of this film. I wish it was just a dialogue-free movie with a few title cards. The movie would have been so much better.

4. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Araya

Beautifully shot documentary about assuming the perspectives of others. Or at least indirectly, unintentionally. They really make it seem like these workers lives are hell, but we never really get to hear any of their thoughts.

5. mchainsaw's rating of the film Araya

Simple, stunning cinematography. A captivating story that was beautifully shot.

6. Corey's rating of the film Araya

It was interesting at first, but got repetitive toward the end. It also kind of treated the people like they were animals in a nature doc. The nature doc was kinda the who aesthetic of the movie, which is weird.

7. Monkey Flix's rating of the film Araya

Compelling, but would be a lot better condensed to 60 minutes. The black and white cinematography is perfect.

8. Honeychurch's rating of the film Araya

Lovely cinematography. Thanks for having this in HD.

9. Bernardo Anderson's rating of the film Araya

Poetry of ordinary lives. Beauty of the mundane.

10. David Richards's rating of the film Araya

Interesting documentary about life and survival in an arid and merciless landscape. I found the orchestral soundtrack overbearing at times, though the songs were terrific. I wish some of the villagers had been interviewed or had a voice in some way. The story is narrated by one voice. "Nothing grows here..." then we see grass and cacti.

11. Kevin O's rating of the film Araya

Humanistic, artful, and most importantly, Venezolano.

12. Jason's rating of the film Araya

While the voice over, though it has its moments, is a bit much, and the Foley work often foregrounds a somewhat discomfiting artificiality, ARAYA is something of a triumph simply as visual art. Watching it, I very quickly lost any real interest in the ethnographic side of things, but remained utterly transfixed by the chromatic beauty of it and the finesse of the camera movements. Very beautiful and kinda hypnotic.

13. Solowis's rating of the film Araya

While it carries the biases of last-century ethnographic films, this is a masterpiece of the genre, and I'd probably never even hear about it if wasn't for mubi. Thanks mubi!

14. arlinda's rating of the film Araya

A beautiful meditation on the elemental life.

15. lsdorian's rating of the film Araya

Visualmente hermosa y descriptiva. A mi gusto le sobra narración.

16. Salvador Amores's rating of the film Araya

aaaaah con que agarrando pueblo

17. Maria Margarida Marques's rating of the film Araya

A very beautiful and touching movie. A precious testimony to be enjoyed, shared and discussed.

18. Jean Paul Tremont's rating of the film Araya

very entertaining view of an isolated and forgotten place

19. Toni's rating of the film Araya

20. aaa88's rating of the film Araya

Amazing images. But the point of view is the questionable link between naturalistic and poetic, without any real connection with people.

21. mariabaldor's rating of the film Araya

Es una pena no poder verla pq no tiene subtítulos en Español, no creo que sea mucho pedir poder acceder a todas las pelis con sub en Español, al fin y al cabo es la segunda legua más hablada en el mundo después del chino mandarín...se supone que esta era una plataforma para un público internacional, pero se nota que es para anglo parlantes que tienen la costumbre de manejar un sólo idioma, el inglés.

22. Marco Bevilacqua's rating of the film Araya

Aesthetically perfect. All the images are beautiful and well recorded. It is an interesting subject, filmed both in a documentary and fiction manner, maybe the action seems to be a bit artificial sometimes. One of the best films I have ever seen about poor working people, like Visconti's "la Terra Trema". What I don't like in this film is the narrator and the audio in general, I would prefer a silent movie.

23. Helena's rating of the film Araya

The movie itself is very repetitive, which I found quite suitable to represent this society's centuries-long routine. Some of the framings were just beautiful to watch. The simplicity of the depicted lives is fascinating yet claustrophobic, and watching the womens' clothes flow with the wind was somehow a "relief" from the movie's routine, as well as watching grandma and grandchild bringing seashells to the dead

24. Icicleta's rating of the film Araya