1. dionysus67's rating of the film Ballad of Orin

Another remarkable film from the great Shinoda. His wife and muse S.Iwashita portrays the blind Orin, banished from her community becuase of sexual stigma. A parable for contemporary Japan it debunks the myth of modernization by disclosing its fascist preconditions. Miyagawa's camera explores Orin's body from head to toes and provides some glowing moments, like, for instance, in the luminous river shots. Superb.

2. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Ballad of Orin

I knew Takemitsu's score before I saw the film-- it lends dignity to Orin's bleak trajectory.

3. Jeremy Ashlyn's rating of the film Ballad of Orin

interesting counterpoint to something like barry lyndon. bleak yes but also sublime. CINEMATOGRAPHY

4. Martin Wilson's rating of the film Ballad of Orin

The best film of 1977 and it's virtually unknown. Stands comparison with the best of Mizoguchi. It was hardly released anywhere so it would really benefit from a Criterion or Eureka blu-ray. This would also allow us to fully appreciate the work of Kazuo Miyagawa, the man who shot Sansho the Bailiff and Ugetsu. Shinoda's wife, Shima Iwashita, is perfect as Orin. Sister of Oharu and Tess. Women alone and lonely roads.