1. sabbi irimiás esaú alzate botero's rating of the film Battleship Potemkin

begin movies i saw forever ago and forgot to rate

2. DenoResandono's rating of the film Battleship Potemkin

A movie which almost invents everything about filmmaking. BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN is great cinematic piece from Russia. I think it's also one of the great propaganda movie out there. Watching BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN is like reading a book titled: How to Make Your Movie Legendary Less Than Two Hours. Director Sergei Eisenstein proved that with the right editing and cinematography you can tell everything without dialogue...

3. Genre films > French New Wave's rating of the film Battleship Potemkin

Technically, it's brilliant; the editing and cinematography are impressive even for today. It's also quite moving, although it's not hard to make a kid and later his mother getting shot moving. On a narrative level, the plot is coherent albeit sometimes unclear and characters are practically non-existent. The film suffers in pacing due to excruciatingly slow buildup.

4. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film Battleship Potemkin

Epic Russian silent movie that tell about a pivotal event during the Russian revolution of 1905. The film is full of memorable imagery but the massacre at the massive steps in Odessa is a brutal and excellent edited scene that leave a lasting impact and it is no wonder that the scene with the baby cart has been reused in numerous more modern films since.

5. Enrico Gaudenzi's rating of the film Battleship Potemkin

Semplicemente paradisiaco... uno dei migliori film di propaganda mai realizzati, montaggio, musiche, attori, fotografia... Grazie di esserci (nella superba edizione restaurata della Cineteca di Bologna è davvero godurioso).

6. Django's rating of the film Battleship Potemkin

If you love film then this movie is required viewing, not only because it is a masterpiece of storytelling but because it has (and continues) to influence some of the best cinema that has followed in its wake. Check it out.

7. freskonthesfenks's rating of the film Battleship Potemkin

I was scared to watch this film a long time. Topic did not interest me but Eisenstein's magical powers of narration made the film a piece of art instead of a boring propaganda film. He didn't avoid to show child deaths so he could easily show the violence of the Bolshevik troops. I didn't get bored once in the film. So clear, so smooth.

8. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Battleship Potemkin

Sergei Eisenstein? More like Frankenstein!

9. Philippe Lajède's rating of the film Battleship Potemkin

10. Levi Miah's rating of the film Battleship Potemkin

Seized the means of the masterpiece.

11. Dr.Cinemaniac's rating of the film Battleship Potemkin

12. hemachandra's rating of the film Battleship Potemkin

Re-watched. Still a masterpiece.

13. Stefan Drees's rating of the film Battleship Potemkin

The film is full of masterly handled filmic techniques - and not only in the Odessa step sequence. If you take Edmund Meisl's music into consideration, the sequence from 1:03:00 is a masterpiece of audiovisual design: The orchestra playing a slightly variated loop that resembles a stylized stomping of the machines getting faster and faster until it reaches the climax while Eisensteins montage serves as counterpoint.

14. Benjamin Bland's rating of the film Battleship Potemkin

Yes, technically magnificent and hugely innovative. I still got quite bored towards the end though, and it's only 75 minutes.

15. gabi gabi gabi's rating of the film Battleship Potemkin

So many different kinds of shots…would love to know more about how this film was made.

16. Superfrog's rating of the film Battleship Potemkin

Fundamental film to have seen, with its defects. I do want to see the stairs in Odessa with my own eyes soon, when the situation will allow.

17. EdieEmm's rating of the film Battleship Potemkin

"Those aren't worms..." said the Dr., looking up from the worm-ridden meat. "They're alternative facts!" And the people rose up against the gaslighting, authoritarian regime with its obsession with power at any cost. And the people joined together and punched racists in their faces and were all like #resist!. And the regime was brutal but, ultimately, the true power was with the masses. Also, montage! The End.

18. Jérémy Poirier's rating of the film Battleship Potemkin

Blown away. It is both an achievement in technicality and storytelling. It's influence can still be seen today.

19. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Battleship Potemkin

3-4. Setting aside the editing and the Odessa steps sequence, I actually think the film is at its most engaging fairly early on. I think the film might get a little too swallowed up in emphasizing the common people's rebel spirit and contrasting it with that of the government. The final twist seems maybe a bit too caught up in making its point, rather than delivering actual conflict between ship and squadron.

20. SpacePirate's rating of the film Battleship Potemkin

The Odessa steps sequence is worth seeking this one out alone. The rest is a bit by the numbers, but good in a propaganda sort of way lol. I was rooting for the shipmates to mutiny all the way. Some cool visuals here, and introduced the montage to cinema. Film history 101, if perhaps not the most engaging storyline. Must see.

21. Loud Rocks's rating of the film Battleship Potemkin

22. Elle Johnston's rating of the film Battleship Potemkin

I will forever laugh my head of at the scene where the pram falls down the steps.

23. bagno's rating of the film Battleship Potemkin

24. Quattro's rating of the film Battleship Potemkin

Not much to add to what I wrote about Strike – Eisenstein's genius is clear in each and every frame. I preferred the first one, though: its narrative strutture is more solid, and besides the ingenuity it's a slightly more sincere portrayal of the dynamics between the workers. Here the pacing is not perfect, a few scenes are too dilated by editing. Nonethless, we're talking about a landmark in the history of Cinema.

← Previous 1 3 4 5