1. Lance L O T's rating of the film Captain Phillips

It actually surprised me for being an extremely well told story together with amazing performances by Tom Hanks and Barkhad Abdi. The film is treated not like a real story or based on real events even though we know about it in the end, but it's handled like a thriller and like a story of how the hunter becomes the hunted. It's a very entertaining film that keeps you in even though you know the outcome.

2. pop_art-i-wish's rating of the film Captain Phillips

Superb acting again from Tom Hanks. The movie itself attempts - but unfortunately fails - to fully humanise the pirates and their desperate situation which would have been far more interesting than skydiving Navy Seals and a US military parade. There's great tension in this movie but it was a shame about the script (e.g. Why cast the great Katherine Keener and give her 3 lines?)

3. lonesome-boat's rating of the film Captain Phillips

4. auloel's rating of the film Captain Phillips

Love the tense. Betapa mahalnya sebuah kebebasan.

5. ceknklsn's rating of the film Captain Phillips

6. sainte's rating of the film Captain Phillips

You can tell this is the same director who did the Bourne movies, with all the camera constantly moving around. The last few scenes were really memorable. Great performances from the (actual!) Somalis.

7. babycakesromero's rating of the film Captain Phillips

cinema should be about transporting you to a situation and making you feel like you are inside it - greengrass does this spectacularly well, fully immersing you in the relentless tension of the situation. hanks gives a perfectly tuned performance and his final outpouring is genuinely heart-breaking

8. Endre's rating of the film Captain Phillips

There's something interesting in that medical checkup scene at the end, and the american captain's final reaction ("It's not my blood!"). Maybe this is a too sympathetic and naive interpretation, but it’s as if he (and the film) has been shot out of his practical concerns and acknowledges the systematic injustice of the whole situation. Here is no hero, but priviliged individual rights with blood on its hands.

9. N!nA's rating of the film Captain Phillips

Message: Don't mess with Americans or you are doomed !!!

10. Thomas's rating of the film Captain Phillips

Having seen Tobias Lindholm's thriller 'A Hijacking' this left me just slightly underwhelmed.

11. angiebasuki's rating of the film Captain Phillips

So basically a life of a white person worth 3 lives of other ethnicity ?

12. Dogukan4Ever's rating of the film Captain Phillips

2013, dir. PAUL GREENGRASS - 8/10 (USA)

13. galimgim's rating of the film Captain Phillips

3.5 for that fucking breakdown

14. Mary in the Sky with Movies's rating of the film Captain Phillips

15. G. Gregorius Dewamanyu's rating of the film Captain Phillips

Very tense and thrilling movie, great supporting actor performance by Barkhad Abdi, also great act by Tom Hanks.

16. davidtaveiraa's rating of the film Captain Phillips

17. Elephants_Gerald's rating of the film Captain Phillips

Now I've seen every '13 Best Picture contender. I resisted this one for a while because it just seemed like some typical bullshit. Aside from Tom Hanks' weird New England accent, this actually pulled it off very well. I knew it'd be suspenseful á la Paul Greengrass, but props to it for giving the time of day to the Somalis' motivations. "Can't you do something else besides piracy and fishing?" "Maybe in America."

18. Lulu Nursyifa's rating of the film Captain Phillips

I love Tom Hanks, in every way.

19. Enrico Gaudenzi's rating of the film Captain Phillips

Greengrass si sforza di raccontare anche l'altra faccia della pirateria somala... Action con un buon ritmo, lucido e complesso. Da vedere

20. Maura Rivera's rating of the film Captain Phillips

21. Zac Weber's rating of the film Captain Phillips

I wasn't sure how I felt about this movie as I watched, but the final 10 minutes were riveting. Tom Hanks is exceptional, although the real-life events that serve as the film's foundation vary wildly from what is depicted in Captain Phillips.

22. Ian Fitzgerald's rating of the film Captain Phillips

this movie made me hate stupid people even more

23. tunaflavour's rating of the film Captain Phillips

3,5 stars. The first half hour was a bit boring, the last scenes were very, very intense. Great performance, Tom Hanks! It is a good film, very well made. It's just not my kind of film, I guess.

24. Jaspar Lamar Crabb's rating of the film Captain Phillips

Tom Hanks pahks his boaht in the hahvad yahd

← Previous 1 3 4 5