1. Yewed's rating of the film Child of God

Child of God is one of my favorite novels, and I came into this knowing that film adaptations very rarely touch the garment hem of the books they're based on, but this one was terribly disappointing. Lester Ballard, the character in the book, is so frightening because he's ISN'T some bearded monstrosity with a speech impediment, just broken out of the lunatic asylum, which is how Scott Haze plays him. Skip it . . .

2. Dogukan4Ever's rating of the film Child of God

2013, dir. JAMES FRANCO - 5,5/10 (USA)

3. Jack Hemingway's rating of the film Child of God

it loses something from translation.

4. Amandio Filipe Moura's rating of the film Child of God

5. J. O.'s rating of the film Child of God

I rarely turn off a movie but with Franco's latest butchering of a classic American writer, it was torture making it ten minutes. The performances were hokey and individual, lacking any sort of unity (especially with the accents). Visually, it was aggravating and pallid. The design was visibly cheap and anachronistic. The narration and (frequent) use of text felt rushed. Amateur at best. McCarthy deserves better.

6. Kid Sisyphus's rating of the film Child of God

A little bit The Apple Dumpling Gang, a little bit Forest Gump, a little bit the mom from Carrie.

7. dave gunn's rating of the film Child of God

Unfamiliar with the novel, but I loved this film. James Franco really took me by surprise and Scott Haze flawlessly executed a role that no one should have ever been able to. Several really cool directorial choices in here, too.

8. MODERNGRUMBLE's rating of the film Child of God

Have long loved the book, and expected nothing of Franco's adaptation but Scott Haze's feral performance saves the film. Unfortunately while Franco stays surprisingly faithful to the tale, his direction underserves Haze's performance in the extreme keeping what could have been a small masterpiece in the realm of the one trick pony.

9. MATTEO BITTANTI's rating of the film Child of God

A lame adaptation of an unfilmable novel

10. Catarina C Gomes's rating of the film Child of God

Scott Haze is the all movie. What he did felt so nice I had the urge to smoke a cigarette afterwards.