1. I.Camera's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

Nykvist produced one of the great cinematographic works in Bergman's mid-career masterpiece. I'm not sure anyone would ever want to live in a blood red house in real life, but the stylisation makes for an arresting 90 mins, with Bergman exploring his psychological preoccupations in sometimes excruciating depth. 2K restoration and HD TV sets have reinforced for home viewers the full quality of Bergman's filmmaking.

2. symisz-licht's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

3. carrielou's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

beautiful depiction of emotions

4. angeldromero's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

5. VincentVendetta's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

I don't think there's a single film director, before or since, that has ever loved their actors more than Ingmar Bergman, who's willing to pull back entire sets, and colour palettes just so their faces can stand out of the screen.

6. Simon's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

7. malcontent's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

it consists of varying ethical distances between bodies for example: 'i received the most wonderful gift anyone can receive in life. its is called many things: togetherness, companionship, relatedness, affection. i think this is what is called grace'; 'i could feel the presence of their bodies, the warmth of their hands' compared to 'dont touch me! dont come near me!', the 'indifference', 'hate' and class-divisions.

8. Monsieur Simon Cinema's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

The reds and the whites and the cinematography in the garden, the close up shot of the mother in the garden is amazing

9. Didonne's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

De la mort, de la souffrance, et de l'âme, couleur carmin, qui teinte les décors, les costumes, jusqu'à la pellicule. Magnifique invention que cette trilogie blanc/rouge/noire ! Devant ce travail de l'image, on a peine à croire que le metteur en scène ait eu l'intention de montrer une femme atteinte d'un "cancer de l'utérus". Une curieuse surinterprétation qui en dit long sur l'angoisse actuelle de la mort.

10. DVC's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

11. ADZERTY's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

La puissance d'une grande tragédie.

12. riceball's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

13. Philippe Taris's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

Malgré le magnifique rouge carmin qui inonde le film je préfère Bergman en noir et blanc...

14. johmus's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

A completely devastating piece of filmmaking that makes you disgusted by the characters on screen and looking for solace in your personal life. A film that is so disturbing that it makes you want to be more kind and open to other people. It's another masterpiece by Bergman about the dark depths of the human condition. A film that shakes you up and makes you want to share hugs with anyone who might need them.EMOTIONAL

15. Terry_Moby's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

4.7 Masterful in every respect. And frightening.

16. Sin título.'s rating of the film Cries and Whispers

17. Silvoieski's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

To revisit in a near future.

18. Mat Thias's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

I'm so sorry, but watching this in 2018 just felt so misogynist, over-the-top and campy. Freud explaining female hysteria to his pals. This film completely undermines the characters and instead merely focusses on exteriority (furniture, costumes, bodies). De-canonize this film, please.

19. CafeGradiva's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

20. Mtume Gant's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

Grief is chaos. Nothing seems linear, nothing makes sense anymore and the more you repress the more demons become distorted beyond reason. Bergman paints this beautifully. Arguably Nykvist's greatest work in color also. And Harriet Anderson is incredible.

21. Aulia Indry's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

I don't know what to say, what is clear is that I am confused to identify the face of his mother, Karin, Maria and Agnes. Especially when Karin and Maria. And I just realized their similarity when the film was almost over.

22. Aaron C Jones's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

The fades to red/black really struck me and stuck with me. This film is so mind-bending and heart-rending, and there's so much going on mood and genre-wise. There's mostly melodrama/family drama, but also even some... horror, I think? And some gasp-worthy moments, in its own calm way. I loved this.

23. Henri de Corinth's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

Rewatch of a 4K restoration for the Bergman centennial. A treasure. Bergman's hellscape is unlike anything in the movies.

24. Jim's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

★★★½ /DCP/ A visual masterpiece of demented Victorian oppression, saturated in feminine hysteria. Bergman bathes in emotional anguish, projecting its chaos on a group of sisters, disintegrating within an opulent mansion. Narratively murky, more an expressionist piece of art, working out Bergman’s own personal wounds, an expression of his fascination and fear of women. Anderson and Thulin, both stupendous.