1. James Mackin's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

If Stanley Kubrick directed this film, there would be a young child constantly muttering and yelling "Redroom, redroom." And that is a compliment.

2. Ioana Șomănescu's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

3. leonardobpgn's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

The realistic feeling and the beautifulness are frighteningly amazing. What a masterpiece!

4. aliasgenius's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

5. JJJ's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

I have never fallen for cries and whispers as I have with other bergman films. I think it is just so severe at times, to he point of being ridiculous. Still a terribly lovely and jaw-dropping film at times.

6. João Martins's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

The intensive way Bergman films woman and their expression is odd. I think it's safe to say that there are a few that can manage to do that. Existence, death, struggle, emocional balance, friendship, enemies... It's all in this masterpiece.

7. Noëlle's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

So many unanswered questions...

8. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

Luxuriantly ashen, with a set design that (inadvertently, I would assume!) honours Poe's 'Philosophy of Furniture'. Worth watching with headphones to give the experience the intimacy of a radio play. Having watched 'Summer with Monika' just the other month, I found it distressing to see Harriet Andersson, who is remarkable here, so cadaverous and wan - but gladdened to find she is now a happy healthy octogenarian!

9. McOpinionated's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

Chekov modernised and turned into cinema. A realistic portrayal of the banality and panic around and in the death-bed. Loneliness. Boredom. Disappointment. Awful men.

10. Kaonashiii's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

11. P D Dawson's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

Bergman was an absolute genius that could turn his hand to anything and make it important, while at the same time we are able to call this cinema. In this film, there are uncomfortable scenes and a burgeoning tension throughout, but his genius is in showing us something real without ever throwing us out into the wilderness. As long as you allow yourself to be transported by a film, then no one beats Bergman's vision.

12. gld48's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

Beautiful but turgid. Someone said it best when they said this begins and ends like Chekhov with a dash of Strindberg in the middle.

13. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

14. Superfrog's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

Technically stunning, both in image and acting, the script leaves me cold in its interwoven drama which for me, instead of creating amplification creates numbness.

15. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

Another fantastic film from Ingmar Bergman, this is a look at the connections and divisions between three sisters, masterfully handled.

16. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

Dramatic and heartbreaking. Following this MUBI retrospective, the film is made all the more affective for seeing Andersson in her later years, cast as a regretful middle-aged woman in agony, unlike her free-spirited wild child from Summer with Monika.

17. Diogo Moreira's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

From the image of three white-clad women in the red room whispering, Bergman constructs a painful, fascinating and beautiful reflection on death. On the physical and biological disappearance of the human being. A great and disturbing film that never ends with indifference, either for its formal beauty or for the timeless richness of its theme, served by a portentous cast.

18. Leigh Collins's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

Very intense study of death and unhappiness blistered with blood red throughout. Some extraordinary moments, some perplexing. Masterful direction, cinematography and acting, but a little too bleak for my liking.

19. Philippe Lajède's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

20. Tja's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

More cries than whispers. Effectively tense social drama given some elan by the use of red and white colourways.

21. AdrianM.'s rating of the film Cries and Whispers

22. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

There’s a lot of suffering and pain and all that, but what I remember the most is a particular tracking shot nearing the end of the film that could be in contention for one of Bergman’s immortal moments. It’s hard to put into words, but it’s the maid walking to the dead sister’s bedroom, and it is so shockingly composed and silently human that it awes completely.

23. luís debonoir's rating of the film Cries and Whispers