1. szabatura's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

I saw this film for the first time in 2008, when I was living abroad and facing a major depression, it was a religious experience. Today, ten years later, I watched it again. It got better. Darker. Prettier. The final scene, with those words of joy despite all the suffering, is outstanding.

2. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

I had forgotten how verbose this film is (which says a lot considering it's Bergman) and how well its chattiness suits the sort of purgatory-dream scape. Along with the primal screams and Agnes's labored breaths as she dies, Cries and Whispers wordiness functions as a claustrophobia that at once makes the film Bergman's most humane but also his most theatrical.

3. simona dumitriu's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

4. ceknklsn's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

5. burgess2003's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

Hopelessness, grief, loneliness and guilt. This is not a film for everyone. An assay about death and women’s sorrow.

6. Leif Erikson's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

Pray for those of us left behind on this dark and miserable earth beneath a cruel and empty sky. Lay your suffering at God's feet and plead with him to pardon us. Plead with him to free us of our anxiety, our weariness, and our deepest doubts. Plead with him to give meaning to our lives.

7. mubianer's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

35mm. I just remembered the horrific screams of death from last time I watched it, ten years ago. Family life in all it's terror, just the painful parts and truths remaining. It's a rare film that left me with a sense of smelling the house and characters. it's a scary film too, I heard about a guy having a three day psychosis after watching it when it first opened. Bergman, the greatest horror director too.

8. sofiazelaya's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

intensísima la exploración del sufrimiento de cada personaje, cada actriz es perfecta, la estructura es perfecta

9. Karolina Rimkute's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

Even though the atmosphere is soaked in cries and whispers as the name indicates, the story ends up with a light note, suggesting the approach to all that happened. Spoken words to one another tell less than the feeling that what was not said is more sincere and important. Understood in this way, silence tells most, even if as in the case of coin manipulation and dedication (/humility) are the two sides of it.

10. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

11. Rui's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

Bit of the abyss of the soul in this one. Some cold hearted and barren characters in this one. Gives you the chills.

12. De La Ghetto's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

I love Ingmar Bergman but I actually couldn't finish this movie. It was too boring for me. Still, I liked the images and the acting and all that. It just made me sleepy. I always think I'll go back and watch it one day when I'm older. There have been movies that I saw when I was a teen that I didn't like, but that I like now. Maybe it's an older man's movie.

13. Chearth's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

14. MisterColo93's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

15. James Mackin's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

If Stanley Kubrick directed this film, there would be a young child constantly muttering and yelling "Redroom, redroom." And that is a compliment.

16. Ioana Șomănescu's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

17. leonardobpgn's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

The realistic feeling and the beautifulness are frighteningly amazing. What a masterpiece!

18. aliasgenius's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

19. JJJ's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

I have never fallen for cries and whispers as I have with other bergman films. I think it is just so severe at times, to he point of being ridiculous. Still a terribly lovely and jaw-dropping film at times.

20. João Martins's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

The intensive way Bergman films woman and their expression is odd. I think it's safe to say that there are a few that can manage to do that. Existence, death, struggle, emocional balance, friendship, enemies... It's all in this masterpiece.

21. Adam Laurence Pitt's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

22. Noëlle's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

So many unanswered questions...

23. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

Luxuriantly ashen, with a set design that (inadvertently, I would assume!) honours Poe's 'Philosophy of Furniture'. Worth watching with headphones to give the experience the intimacy of a radio play. Having watched 'Summer with Monika' just the other month, I found it distressing to see Harriet Andersson, who is remarkable here, so cadaverous and wan - but gladdened to find she is now a happy healthy octogenarian!

24. McOpinionated's rating of the film Cries and Whispers

Chekov modernised and turned into cinema. A realistic portrayal of the banality and panic around and in the death-bed. Loneliness. Boredom. Disappointment. Awful men.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7