1. blkrchs's rating of the film District 9

2. BenNash's rating of the film District 9

Great CGI, great action scenes, shame that Blomkamp has been unable to make a new film since.

3. Ana Mari Muether's rating of the film District 9

A brilliant and smart Sci-Fi film demonstrating humans behaviour towards strangers. It relates to conflicts in the past but it's relevance seems to be continuing in the far future. I like the story but could do with a little less action and more dialogue.

4. SiIencio's rating of the film District 9

A clear allegory of Apartheid that fuses mockumentary, Black Hawk Down and Star Wars in an odd below average crucible. None of these elements really add much of value to the mix and it is arguably the political comparison with the sad not-yet-forgotten former brutal regime what strikes a cord between laser beam and sigh of disbelief. The cacophony of sounds is enough to keep you awake.

5. Angus George Alexander Brown's rating of the film District 9

This is a really good commentary on the immigration crisis. It's not without it's faults, but it's poetic, a well-made film and very topical to the post-Trump world.

6. Jack's rating of the film District 9

I love the concept. The first half was excellent. The second half was poor. Thank goodness bad guys still can't aim.

7. Superfrog's rating of the film District 9

Strong on the racial and domination dynamics to be seen particularly in SA, if sometimes discussable. The mockumentary/action flick format is deserving. A good political drama would have been better.

8. McOpinionated's rating of the film District 9

Some good bits and well worth watching. Some superficial political commentary. This could easily have been really, really good. Marred by lumpy plot and character development, uncanny valley CGI, lack of imagination, uncertainty over the balance between humour, satire, scifi, action. And between found footage & standard. Nice lack of subtitles. The spaceship was great. Away and read some Iain M Banks!

9. Carolyn Riddell's rating of the film District 9

10. Ash Hynes's rating of the film District 9

11. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film District 9

It may have been a little overpraised upon release but I’d have to agree with those who really loved this film. It has a hell of a lot of fun while also probing at some serious matters just below the surface. Blomkamp (helped in the writing by Terri Tatchell) may not please everyone with his presentation of the material but that doesn’t really bother me. At the end of the day, he pleased me.

12. andretz's rating of the film District 9

13. Star Lord's rating of the film District 9

14. dordairobert's rating of the film District 9

15. mac le mac's rating of the film District 9

16. bartkl's rating of the film District 9

An interesting thought experiment that utilizes the alien theme for socio-political critique, most notably difficulties concerning immigration. Although I appreciate this, I wasn't too impressed with the film. I disliked the actors and the characters they portrayed, did not care for the alien CGI -except for the awesome spaceship- and think the storyline is one of a cliche action film. Scores on authenticity though.

17. ofNatalie LA's rating of the film District 9

An important movie. WHERE IS THE SEQUEL?

18. belemir's rating of the film District 9

19. Ernesto Sá's rating of the film District 9

A true drama disguised as a sci-fi action movie, showing us the best and the worst of human nature.

20. Nick Schwab's rating of the film District 9

I don't see much of the often pointed out social/political commentary myself, as at best it boils down to a simplistic and predictable 'they are like us' sentiment, lacking much depth. What I do see, however, is that the first half is a fun--finer detail aiding-- mockumentary before it goes for action/sci-fi spectacle. District 9 may be bombast over brains, but there's a smile to be had in its humor and set pieces.

21. James Mackin's rating of the film District 9

Would've been much more interesting if it was entirely a documentary, but was still quite good.

22. BernardoDiniz's rating of the film District 9

Very interesting sci-fi/doc mashup. Worth a rewatch.

23. Kk Soft Boss's rating of the film District 9

24. SBERB's rating of the film District 9

è un po' troppo superficiale

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7