1. FISCHER's rating of the film Don't Touch the Axe

A priori, on serait évidemment tenté de penser que cent-trente-sept minutes de film costumé, plus est du Balzac d'époque, pourrait s'avérer mortellement ennuyeux, voire d'un introuvable intérêt narratif ou cinématographique. Nenni, les amis, c'est plutôt lumineusement brillant, d'une désarmante finesse introspective et d'un subtil jeu d'acteurs souvent impeccable. www.cinefiches.com

2. mlstrx's rating of the film Don't Touch the Axe

maybe my favourite film title ever... so evocative and alluring.... nice.... but do these people have nothing better to do?? jeeezz...

3. Francisco R.'s rating of the film Don't Touch the Axe

Guillaume is terrifying here. It's really a shame he left us so soon.

4. chveys's rating of the film Don't Touch the Axe

Un film magnifique avec une Jeanne Balibar sublime. Sa magie donne envie de lire l'ouvrage de Balzac.

5. H.L.'s rating of the film Don't Touch the Axe

Most beautiful film I have seen since 2007.

6. David Ehrenstein's rating of the film Don't Touch the Axe

Back in the late 40's Max Ophuls planned a film of this Balzac novelle starring (wait for it!) Greta Garbo. He even had James Wong Howe shoot screen tests of the goddess. But he couldn't get anyone interested so she went back into retirement and he went to France ot make "La Ronde," "Le Plaisir," " Madame de. . ." and "Lola Montes."

7. Justin Vicari's rating of the film Don't Touch the Axe

The work of a Master. Rivette and Balibar (in an amazing performance) tease out the virgin coquette's contradictions without cheating any of her complexities. Rivette eschews the purple of the book but clarifies its relation to 2 of his own themes: the Great Love that cannot be begun or ended; and private spaces which restore personal sanity even while replicating the maddening demands of society as in a mirror.

8. lina maj's rating of the film Don't Touch the Axe

I have only seen Jeanne Balibar in “Va Savoir” before, but it feels like she was born for the role of Antoinette de Navarreins - the hairdoes, the dresses, the flirtatiousness and the suffering suited her perfectly!

9. Black Irish's rating of the film Don't Touch the Axe

On one level, a variation on La Belle et la Bete where Depardieu is both a human and beastial Marais and Balibar is Maria Cesares as Antoinette de Langeais. Yet also a Lubitsch romance under the gaze of Lang. Protagonists constantly seen walking though doors but never into, or out of, bed, while games which disguised their motives ultimately reveal their obsessions and "the pace that kills along the road to ruin."

10. εξώτερο Διάστημα's rating of the film Don't Touch the Axe

if you already hate books, do not watch this, you will hate them even more. every excellentlyl-done "anti" campaign is initially planned as a well-intended promotion. and this looks like an anti-balzac campaign.

11. vincentbergerond@gmail.com's rating of the film Don't Touch the Axe

Reminded me of that Bergman quote in Passion of Anna, "I accepted the humiliation..." Stay away from this kind of woman, only bad experiences can happen. I try to get away after the first mean sentence if I spot one.

12. Josh Tierney's rating of the film Don't Touch the Axe