1. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film Empire of the Sun

2. Viginti_tres's rating of the film Empire of the Sun

Sometimes the best true tales make for bad stories. It's all remarkable, sure, but ultimately we get bogged down by biographical detail that doesn't relate to the theme or overdone POW tropes. Thankfully then Steve and Bale are around to enliven the material - there are numerous striking shots, surreal and of a huge scale - but I wonder what this could have been were they willing to make it more of a movie.

3. FISCHER's rating of the film Empire of the Sun

>>> Certes, du grand spectacle, avec quelques rares moments de bravoure et d'émotion remarquables, mais l'ennui est loin d'être absente de cette longue saga adolescente. www.cinefiches.com

4. Mr.Pacha's rating of the film Empire of the Sun

5. Cyril Schreiber's rating of the film Empire of the Sun

6. grotescsetorg's rating of the film Empire of the Sun

7. Jim Fear's rating of the film Empire of the Sun

Made a huge impression on me when I was younger. One film that should be watched when growing up.

8. Malt Frisky's rating of the film Empire of the Sun

You can guess this is Spielberg's first attempt at a serious WW2 drama because the full weight isn't there, Indian Jones seems to be somewhere in the outskirts and slips in time and again with the deception that your watching a family friendly adventure. Bale does a great performance but the film is just too focused on him throughout. Some backstory with the other characters would have given the film more depth.

9. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Empire of the Sun

Spielberg can be a far more lyrical director than he gets credit for, and the wordless passages of Empire of the Sun are among his best: a small boy, framed against a large, hostile world that Spielberg is smart enough to leave largely abstract (and beautifully textured). The feeling of helplessness can ache. Bale is phenomenal, and while the film is not as fully realized as it could have been, for that we have A.I.

10. Gabriele Mariotti's rating of the film Empire of the Sun

How Spielberg can ruin Ballard's novel

11. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Empire of the Sun

I remember this mostly because it is really important to my mother-- watching it with her was a formative experience for me.

12. Ahmed Hasan's rating of the film Empire of the Sun

13. taniaburrito's rating of the film Empire of the Sun

14. Michael Peer's rating of the film Empire of the Sun

Spielberg's precursor to Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan. His first major WWII film that is no where close to the previously mentioned films, but it has a true heart, strong performances, and stunning cinematography. Not a masterpiece but a stepping stone in the oeuvre of one of the greatest filmmakers of all time.

15. Dogukan4Ever's rating of the film Empire of the Sun

1987, dir. STEVEN SPIELBERG - 8/10 (USA)

16. André Pereira's rating of the film Empire of the Sun

17. HKFanatic's rating of the film Empire of the Sun

While it's far from a bad film, "Empire of the Sun" is a story about the horrifying and dehumanizing effects of war that is all too often directed and scored like a rousing Indiana Jones adventure. Finding myself held at a distance from the movie as a result, I couldn't help but wonder how the Steven Spielberg of "Munich" and "War of the Worlds" would better serve this very same material.

18. Sebastian's rating of the film Empire of the Sun

Spielberg is just so good at creating a world outside the frame. A bit sappy for my taste but he gets his point across. Great casting for Bale.

19. LNLee's rating of the film Empire of the Sun

one of my favorite (if not THE favorite) spielberg films. i am still haunted by the beautiful shots of war torn landscape and planes and the boy's song.

20. ijol's rating of the film Empire of the Sun

Christian Bale is annoying kid.

21. Kamran's rating of the film Empire of the Sun

An episodic coming-of-age tale unlike any other. Drifts for some time, but finds its way home. 75/100

22. Maxwell's rating of the film Empire of the Sun

... Shouldn't J.G. somehow appear in the credits to this film?

23. Hal's rating of the film Empire of the Sun

In my personal opinion Steven Spielberg deserved an Oscar for this excellent war movie way before his movie " Schindler's list ". Loved Christian Bale in it.

24. andrea.b's rating of the film Empire of the Sun

"Batman cuando todavia no se le paraguas". VLJYNF. :)