1. meepy's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

2. MyAmanda's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

One of the best films of all time and one of Leslie's best perfomances. The beginning is rather slow but it only makes the rest of the movie more intense. It's amazing in terms of costumes, settings, acting, style, and everything else. The film manages to give a deeper insight to the changes in China during the 20th century while still giving an indepth portrait of two Peking Opera singers.

3. ammar's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

4. grassybrownie's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

I gave this movie 3 stars because of its freaking long and detailed story and for those who stood behind it. otherwise, it deserves 2 stars.

5. FISCHER's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

Comme à son habitude, l'excellent réalisateur Chen Kaige nous propose une mise en scène brillante et séduisante dans laquelle s'exprime son constant questionnement sur l'art face aux perturbantes réalités politiques et culturelles... www.cinefiches.com

6. Adam GR's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

A pre-Brokeback epic. Leslie Cheung and Zhang Fengyi ache in the roles they play.

7. Log Lady's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

A gorgeously shot Chinese historical drama but coated in a shiny wrapping of a Hollywood epic. Couldn't keep me interested for the whole time with its meandering tone.

8. Alvise Narduzzi's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

Una danza lunga tre ore, fatta di colori sgargianti, una fotografia preziosa ed una regia eccelsa. Summa massima del cinema esteta cinese, il film mostra con grazia l'importanza del curare l'immagine oltre che la narrativa, che comunque non ha nulla da invidiare alla parte visiva. Una delle più brillanti perle della sfarzosissima collana del cinema asiatico.

9. εξώτερο διάστημα's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

10. Nachtreich's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

11. anacecil's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

Bella, delicada, interesante historia y una actuación que nos muestra la vida de las concubinas en Japón.

12. ginobartolomi's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

More about the atrocities committed throughout the end of Old Society in China and the takeover of communism, less about Opera Culture. The subject matter is important, there are few films that delve into the details of this era that have more or less been forgotten by cinema. Overall, I was underwhelmed. I actually felt physically uncomfortable by how overdramatic it was, it was too long and became boring.

13. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

14. irislang's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

ruined my life then ruined my ruined life....that gradual blurring of opera and real life...

15. Chelsea's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

the kind of film that makes you fall in love with it in spite of its issues.. i watched this 3 months ago but i still think about it every single day

16. RumbleFish's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

Sincero e per questo noioso e vagamente ipnotico. Bellissimo il modo in cui ripercorre la storia cinese e le dinamiche della coppia omosessuale. Film capolavoro a cui bisogna concedere mezza giornata.

17. Kevin You's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

18. Daniel Iván's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

An excellent example of the outcome of a magnificent story line and an outstanding mise en scène in perfect equilibrium. True art.

19. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

A beautifully shot historical drama. Interesting at times, but over long and ultimately a failure to engage me. Reminded me of The Last Emperor, which is a negative comparison

20. Feng Ling's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

去除几个你我他之间的爱情羡慕嫉妒恨,抹去七八十年历史风云辗转动乱,还能留出一层对艺术执着的稚拙挣扎,和一份个体被世间种种推压激打精炼出来的生气。

21. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

Masterpiece. So beautiful, heart-wrenching and epic. Absolutely wonderful storytelling and filmmaking.

22. Max Seqgar's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

23. David Huntington's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

A classic, I know, but wow . . . the expanse! the intensity! the cultural history! Somehow one of the most gripping movies in memory.

24. Loz Loory's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

4.5 Definitely a movie made for the big screen. The small screen reduces the movie to more basic plot, without the sensual experience of the lush, sumptuous details. It's hard to watch this film knowing that Leslie Cheung, the actor who played Dieyi, committed suicide in 2003. Life imitating art? Art imitating life? Perhaps a bit of both.