1. Ethan's rating of the film Fay Grim

This is an interesting little espionage thriller with some fun performances from Parker Posey and Jeff Goldblum.

2. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Fay Grim

I don't watch Hal Hartley films for the plot. The plots are often deliberately absurd. It's about the dialogue and the characters, which are always good.

3. orangey's rating of the film Fay Grim

unwatchable, and a slap in the face to those of us who love the 1997 film

4. Pierre's rating of the film Fay Grim

A language-layered rigmarole that's like an entire season of Homeland compressed into 2 hours. Its playful, quasi-dramatic construction recalls Jarmusch or Rivette—characters constantly find rabbitholes within rabbitholes, ciphers behind ciphers. A strange spin-off from the Hartley-verse.

5. msmichel's rating of the film Fay Grim

Hartley revisited the characters from 'Henry Fool' with this seven years later tale that now follows Parker Posey's 'Fay' into the world of spies and terrorism to find her long absent husband. The dialogue crackles at times, the characters are offbeat and interesting and the music soars yet it is still a shadow of the director's earlier work. Worth the re-watch in anticipation of 'Ned Rifle' at TIFF this week.

6. Ademption's rating of the film Fay Grim

I drank while watching. If I weren't mildly drunk, I'd have liked it less. Otherwise, clever. Too clever. I'm not surprised that his subsequent shorts are less verbal. Fay Grim is Hartley's verbal apotheosis.

7. PYSZNY's rating of the film Fay Grim