1. smndvdcl's rating of the film Hamlet

Olivier is distinctively overrated.

2. Ethan's rating of the film Hamlet

This is an impressive adaptation of Shakespeare's original emo kid. Olivier is brilliant as the titular character and the set design is beautiful and in my opinion, Shakespeare works best in black and white.

3. En Sangers Bøn's rating of the film Hamlet

There is an incredible number of adaptations on screen of this haunted tragedy...none successed to restitute the dramatic intensity of the text. However this version is a nice attempt . Despite its rather formalistic aspect and its lack of madness this version stands as the best with the muted version (1921). Far more consistent than Branagh's lousy interpretation.

4. Nabil Hamzaki's rating of the film Hamlet

"Though this be madness, yet there is method in't. "

5. captainfez's rating of the film Hamlet

We all know the real star is Cushing's hat-bothering Osric.

6. Myles's rating of the film Hamlet

Much better than the Branagh version. Expressionistic lighting, intelligent readings, a really fascinating set for Britain in 1948. Trimmed of excess lines and the whole Fortinbras subplet, Olivier takes us on a tight journey through Shakespeare's messy masterpiece.

7. Kaonashiii's rating of the film Hamlet

Hamlet loses half his dialogue, but gains some years on his mother.

8. raggiodisole's rating of the film Hamlet

Austere. Faithful. Powerful

9. Sarah Pietsch's rating of the film Hamlet

Classic. Great cinematography. Very long though.

10. Stefan Drees's rating of the film Hamlet

In my opinion this Shakespeare adaption is a great example for using filmic means to underline specific elements of the play. E.g. the camera movements serve as link between different places and close-ups are used to sustain the effects of spoken language and its sound. Also William Walton's score is very good because it intensifies certain moments and increases the meaning of the words.

11. Babak Jani's rating of the film Hamlet

It has been, at least in my studies, a suggestion that Hamlet is a Nihilistic or rather Absurd piece of literature. Hence, The Olivier's Hamlet is somehow testifies the Absurd notion of the play. It is always a joy to watch.

12. AALC's rating of the film Hamlet

Very good adaptation. I liked how smoothly shots are made (especially, the scene with actors and their performance).

13. adampaez's rating of the film Hamlet

Shakespeare has never been my cup of tea. The words sound beautiful but I'm unable to truly comprehend any of it. Actors seem to love being involved in Shakespearian works, but I think it usually makes them seem stale and uninspired. The slow pacing doesn't help it at all. A film that has NOT stood the test of time.

14. nyyssonen's rating of the film Hamlet

I was surprised by just how cinematic this version is, but while some shots and voiceovers help elevate it beyond simply a "filmed play", they also obstruct and worsen the delivery of the monologues. By far one of the least funny Hamlet films but also one the most poetic and heartbreaking.

15. ASHES IN THE HOURGLASS's rating of the film Hamlet

Beautiful camerawork and splendid atmosphere make this return to the Bard's material worthwhile. I still think that, even despite great films like Ran and Chimes at Midnight, we still don't have a purely cinematic version of Shakespeare. Something that captures his madness and metaphors with images and sound rather than his words. Olivier's adaptation is arguably one of the best attempts at such a potential milestone

16. MostlyDead's rating of the film Hamlet

Even though I haven't seen this, I still think that the 1996 version is better.

17. Burcu's rating of the film Hamlet

" To be, or not to be: that is the question. "

18. Adam Z's rating of the film Hamlet

Uninspired, dull, simplistic take on Hamlet. There is nothing more flatulent than this film and its inevitable supporters: stuffy, irrelevant academics and, even worse, high school English teachers, who delight in sucking all the joy and spectacle out of Shakespeare, reducing it to idiotic pseudo-Freudian nonsense. And the 'great' Olivier reduces some of the great lines of literature to unbearable nonsense.

19. davandwar's rating of the film Hamlet

Near perfect film version of my favorite Shakespeare. The set design and cinematography is outstanding....

20. Lucas Lacámara's rating of the film Hamlet

Best adaptation of the play by far.

21. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Hamlet

Here are a few arguments in favor of this film : Laurence Olivier with blond hair, the ghost of Hamlet's father, the 18th year old Jean Simmons as Ophelia and the production design. Of course, if you're allergic to plays adapted for films, skip this one.