1. Henrique Barbosa Justini's rating of the film Hero

Even without a weapon, the warrior can slay his enemy from a hundred paces. But the ultimate ideal is when the sword disappears altogether. The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains.

2. Naoya Kugimiya's rating of the film Hero

3. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film Hero

Of all these martial arts films “Hero” is my favorite. It uses a similar style of Rashomon in retelling the same story multiple times, and uses a different color setting for each. And it is freaking gorgeous. How many times have you witnessed a chick fight slap down involving leaves?

4. burning_chrome's rating of the film Hero

5. Salma's rating of the film Hero

Stunning but ideologically deplorable.

6. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Hero

There’s a world in which it’s feasible that Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung found each other shortly after In the Mood for Love and traveled back in time to ancient China to become an epic wuxia duo. Happy to see them reunite for this.

7. anarresti's rating of the film Hero

The stunning scenes can make me forgive the patriotism and ideology it carries. It starts by saying that the Qin ruler was ruthless and then becomes apologetics of the unification of the seven kingdoms that became China. The premise of the narrative works quite well. Each point of vue has a different color, and the story is retold and recreated visually with great cinematography. The soundtrack works perfectly.

8. Kamran's rating of the film Hero

Along with House of Flying Daggers, a testament to Zhang Yimou's inimitable mastery of cinematic affect--episodic cinematography with moment by moment impact. And like HOFD, the narrative is incidental. 90/100 - amazing.

9. MisterColo93's rating of the film Hero

10. duncsbailey's rating of the film Hero

A beguilingly beautiful film, but for me one that ultimately felt like style over substance.

11. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Hero

12. Mert Kaya's rating of the film Hero

this movie tries to tell letting hitler rule europe brings power and peace. its unacceptable for me: message is more important than visuals so, big no.

13. Roland Nicolai Fanega's rating of the film Hero

14. irislang's rating of the film Hero

maggie cheung is the hero of this!! i guess who you view as the hero depends on whether u believe the unification/birth of china as a political entity is a good thing or not...

15. mac le mac's rating of the film Hero

16. John Matrix's rating of the film Hero

It's like the anti-Star Wars. Group of motivated rebels fight evil, well-equipped empire only to realize that the force they're fighting is the world's best hope for stability and peace. A little dubious considering this was co-produced by the largest state-run distributor in China. Nevertheless, HERO is filled with wonderful, balletic fights and stirring photography of China's diverse geography.

17. Ethan Hodson's rating of the film Hero

18. Nick Potter's rating of the film Hero

I've been on a wuxia kick ever since The Assassin. While I don't feel this film lives up to that, I still adored it in all of its violent elegance.

19. cin·aes·the·tic's rating of the film Hero

A digitally-enhanced visual spectacle, this is the film that probably landed director Zhang Yimou the gig of directing the Opening Ceremony of the 2008 Beijing Olympics. It can best be compared to a comic bo... um, 'graphic novel'; it wouldn't lose much if the scenes were converted to panels and the dialogue into bubbles. Beautiful to look at, difficult to believe, and ultimately too worshipful of absolute power.

20. John Woodall's rating of the film Hero

The only thing that really stands out about this film is the exceptional visuals. Some of these shots are just undeniably beautiful. On the other hand, the action scenes really left me disappointed. What starts out as impressive or poetic quickly turns into a CGI assisted bore of continually trying to top itself in each hopelessly impossible technique. With a weak story to match, it really falls short for me.

21. David R Williams's rating of the film Hero

Story wise...who cares. Visually...stunning. And Maggie Cheung...so beautiful it hurts. Really.

22. Brian Trinh's rating of the film Hero

23. Lily Parmenter's rating of the film Hero

The greatest impression this film left on me from when I saw this 14 years ago (wow) was the incredible flying effect of the fight scenes. Still my favorite aspect of the film... the scene where they fight on water, just barely touching the surface, is mind-blowingly gorgeous. Eye candy the entire film.

24. Trevor's rating of the film Hero

Very good. Beautiful soundtrack. Doyle is a god.