1. duncsbailey's rating of the film Hero

A beguilingly beautiful film, but for me one that ultimately felt like style over substance.

2. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Hero

3. Mert Kaya's rating of the film Hero

this movie tries to tell letting hitler rule europe brings power and peace. its unacceptable for me: message is more important than visuals so, big no.

4. Roland Nicolai Fanega's rating of the film Hero

5. irislang's rating of the film Hero

maggie cheung is the hero of this!! i guess who you view as the hero depends on whether u believe the unification/birth of china as a political entity is a good thing or not...

6. mac le mac's rating of the film Hero

7. John Matrix's rating of the film Hero

It's like the anti-Star Wars. Group of motivated rebels fight evil, well-equipped empire only to realize that the force they're fighting is the world's best hope for stability and peace. A little dubious considering this was co-produced by the largest state-run distributor in China. Nevertheless, HERO is filled with wonderful, balletic fights and stirring photography of China's diverse geography.

8. Ethan Hodson's rating of the film Hero

9. Nick Potter's rating of the film Hero

I've been on a wuxia kick ever since The Assassin. While I don't feel this film lives up to that, I still adored it in all of its violent elegance.

10. cin·aes·the·tic's rating of the film Hero

A digitally-enhanced visual spectacle, this is the film that probably landed director Zhang Yimou the gig of directing the Opening Ceremony of the 2008 Beijing Olympics. It can best be compared to a comic bo... um, 'graphic novel'; it wouldn't lose much if the scenes were converted to panels and the dialogue into bubbles. Beautiful to look at, difficult to believe, and ultimately too worshipful of absolute power.

11. John Woodall's rating of the film Hero

The only thing that really stands out about this film is the exceptional visuals. Some of these shots are just undeniably beautiful. On the other hand, the action scenes really left me disappointed. What starts out as impressive or poetic quickly turns into a CGI assisted bore of continually trying to top itself in each hopelessly impossible technique. With a weak story to match, it really falls short for me.

12. David R Williams's rating of the film Hero

Story wise...who cares. Visually...stunning. And Maggie Cheung...so beautiful it hurts. Really.

13. Lily Parmenter's rating of the film Hero

The greatest impression this film left on me from when I saw this 14 years ago (wow) was the incredible flying effect of the fight scenes. Still my favorite aspect of the film... the scene where they fight on water, just barely touching the surface, is mind-blowingly gorgeous. Eye candy the entire film.

14. Trevor's rating of the film Hero

Very good. Beautiful soundtrack. Doyle is a god.

15. Ioannis Papaloizou's rating of the film Hero

What a stunner of a movie...! First time have I ever teared up with a martial arts scene - its colors, choreography, camera angles and motion, as well as the participant element of surrounding nature. Just speaks volumes in terms of the difference between executing something well and executing something with eloquence. This movie nailed it.

16. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Hero

17. film_lies101's rating of the film Hero

A ballet of swords, fists, and feet

18. Joe Pryweller's rating of the film Hero

Too much martial arts ballet, with flying bodies and aerodynamic knives poised in midair that replace the idea of a grounded plot. I loved the Chinese air show for awhile but after about the fifth faceoff, I was ready for something resembling plot and character development, as I grew to care little about Snow, Sky, Arrow or stab wounds. Unlike some martial arts films, enlightenment was not its strong suit.

19. turnerBroadcast p3Dr0's rating of the film Hero

A tragedy based upon almost unattainable universal brotherhood between friend, enemy, lovers - and the patriotic nation state - Hero is the apotheosis of martial arts and color coded brutality. Calligraphy. Love. A story of the birth of a noble empire through strength. A hero is someone who gives their life to something greater than themselves. Hero, by Zhang Yimou does the same - and brings us along for the ride.

20. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Hero

Visually magnificent above all else. I also really like the score.

21. Brent Landon's rating of the film Hero

22. Miche's rating of the film Hero

I have wanted to watch this film for years. I faintly remember seeing a snap shot of the fight scene in swirling yellow leaves in a mag when I was in high school, but accessing the film wasn't a reality at that point. & suddenly here it is years later and a reminder of the beauty and power that is in words over fear :) anger

23. alucarda's rating of the film Hero

beautifully expressed story

24. kkchapin's rating of the film Hero

Exquisitely beautiful! A real treat to watch.

← Previous 1 3 4 5