1. fgonzalezse's rating of the film I Am Not a Witch

2. multeci's rating of the film I Am Not a Witch

This film deserves much better. One of the best ones I’ve seen from Africa. Such a deep look which goes far beyond the hearth braking reality. For me those ribbons are unforgettable symbols of patriarchal hegemony and modernity. I think the final scene will live in my memory for a long time.

3. Krish sanghvi's rating of the film I Am Not a Witch

“Witches are government property.” So dystopian. Sad, funny, fucked up. Felt like a lanthimos film. I’m amazed by how two completely different worlds were shown to coexist! On why an individual’s right to freedom and identity shouldn’t be democratic/public. Although, I’m yet to find a film which portrays culture without romanticising or demonising it.

4. cabrapreta's rating of the film I Am Not a Witch

5. 4dvideo's rating of the film I Am Not a Witch

Heartbreaking. Slow moving and atmospheric, you follow this small, misunderstood and quiet girl into a world of control, misogyny and claustrophobia. The shots of the spools on the truck in the wind are truly haunting.

6. Renton47's rating of the film I Am Not a Witch

Impressive that it can balance its tone successfully between disdain and humour, but maybe a little studied? The use of classical music, and compositions that, as in the mubi review, reminded me of Haneke, which can prove provocative enough when viewing from my perspective. Bold, for sure.

7. Mtume Gant's rating of the film I Am Not a Witch

You can tell the director is an outsider with a low opinion of her blood country by how she mocks and caricatures pretty much everyone in the film. I wouldn't have a problem with a satire about modern African social issues if it didn't completely skip over their issues come from the destruction of colonialism and neglect. Just arrogant. It's a grandstand that pleases western liberal audiences.

8. Nikyatu's rating of the film I Am Not a Witch

Rungano seamlessly vacillates between dark comedy and stark reality in I AM NOT A WITCH. I envy her ability to luxuriate & linger on moments that would've been abbreviated in US Cinema. Her wide shots were feasts for the eyes. My friends THIS is how you do magical realism..<3

9. Siniestro's rating of the film I Am Not a Witch

10. janice.hughes's rating of the film I Am Not a Witch

This extraordinary film from Zambia shows how a young girl is bought into enslavement as a said to be witch and then tied by ribbons to work in the fields from dawn to dusk alongside 30 other women deemed to be witches. The story has its similarities to Atwood's The Handmaids's Tale in so far as girls and women are restrained and have lost their sense of identity to be economically exploited by the men around them.

11. Carlos Filipe Freitas's rating of the film I Am Not a Witch

Humor and tragedy combine effortlessly in this sensitive, mindful, and stylish look at the roots of a distant African culture and the unjust burdens that mark its society. For a first film, Ms. Nyoni not only shows intelligence in the way she addresses the topic but also reinstates hope in the African cinema...

12. El Biffo's rating of the film I Am Not a Witch

New African Cinema/Women's Cinema by Zambian-Welsh director Rungano Nyoni. She won Best Feature for this at 2017 Africa International Film Festival. The wonderful 9-year-old star Maggie Mulubwa had never been to school but you can contribute to her school fund here: https://www.gofundme.com/maggies-school-fund

13. Heather Andersen Ower's rating of the film I Am Not a Witch

14. nadnab's rating of the film I Am Not a Witch

15. gaporama's rating of the film I Am Not a Witch

What a beautiful little gem! I definitely need to watch more African films.

16. Meriç Aksu's rating of the film I Am Not a Witch

17. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film I Am Not a Witch

18. OFF_FRAME's rating of the film I Am Not a Witch

Expecting something similar to Rebelle I was pleasantly surprised by this often humorous but biting look at sexism, ignorance and misogyny shaped around the tale of a young girl accused of being a witch. Great performances, in particular the character of Mr Banda who is a joy to watch and reminiscent of a Bruno Dumont film.The ending is abrupt, music mismatched but this is def worth a watch. Refreshing, 3.5 stars

19. Tawianne's rating of the film I Am Not a Witch

20. Adam Whybray's rating of the film I Am Not a Witch

Impeccably directed to the degree that I will watch anything Nyoni turns her hand to next. Features some great performances, especially from Henry B.J. Phiri, whose Mr Banda is almost pitiable in his sweaty ineptitude. It reminded me of Mambéty's 'Hyènes' in its coruscating use of an allegorical framework. However, while Mambéty made films for Senegalese viewers, I felt Nyoni was aiming for an international audience.

21. caddie's rating of the film I Am Not a Witch

Tragic but touching. A film about social exclusion, discrimination and slavery, from a different angle. Absolutely worth a watch!

22. Blue Roses's rating of the film I Am Not a Witch

23. Mugino's rating of the film I Am Not a Witch

Nyoni, pointing out at TIFF that her first name means "fairy tale", has crafted a heart-rending fable that embodies the perplexing contradictions of Zambia - a matriarchal society that allows the label of witchcraft to arbitrarily enslave women while venerating male witch doctors. Freedom may only be a ribbon cut away, but the shackles of outdated ideas keep young Shula trapped between two non-choices. Unforgettable.

24. Huey McEvoy's rating of the film I Am Not a Witch

(Cannes 2017) An 8 year old girl on Zambia is accused of being a witch and sent to 'witch camp'. An irresistible mix of original story, stunning visuals, broad comedy moments and magic realism - I expect big things from this.