1. SpacePirate's rating of the film In Which We Serve

Who knew Coward was such a solid actor? Start of a great pairing between he and Lean, this is perhaps the lesser of their efforts but still highly enjoyable filmmaking. Great location photography, solid usage of flashbacks to advance the story, & all the actors are solid. Story pretty good for a propaganda film, but compared with Happy Breed, Brief Encounter, etc. one cant help but feel a bit underwhelmed. 3.5 stars

2. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film In Which We Serve

As a war propaganda movie it is probably the best of the bunch I have seen as the story feels 100% authentic and the war footage and action are realistic - spliced together with real footage from WW2 at the time. The flashbacks used give the movie a "Citizen Kane" effect as we get to see the life of several character as they fight for their lives on a floating lifeboat in the sea.

3. Thomas Dods's rating of the film In Which We Serve

Solid but doesn't touch his later work

4. Ethan's rating of the film In Which We Serve

Even though this film was made before This Happy Breed it could be considered a sequel of sorts. Coward and Lean deal with the battlefield as delicately as they deal with the home front.

5. Daniel S.'s rating of the film In Which We Serve

Very good British propaganda movie shot in the middle of WWII. Women are sewing while men are fighting Germans (not Italians, they're too lazy because of the southern climate according to one of the British officers). Recommended for history reasons.

6. A47's rating of the film In Which We Serve

I wish black this black and white this white could be achieved naturally as it was when this was filmed. One of the better propaganda pics. "Here we go." Iconic photography and near-perfect editing. ¬°Cross-fades! Overall, thought the characters were a bit too reserved and proper (perhaps too "british") for their circumstances. Wow, what a great first picture... Splendid movie. "A happy and efficient ship."

7. Django's rating of the film In Which We Serve

I had read about this film for years, and the commentary on Criterion's "Brief Encounter" kept referring to it. I got a rather scratched up version from Netflix and was amazingly surprised at how good it was, how suspenseful, well-acted and crafted. One has to use their imagination for a bit to drop Noel Coward into the Lord Mountbatten role of boat captain, but he fares very well. Worth the view.

8. Richmond Hill's rating of the film In Which We Serve

The drama maybe at sea, but the certainties of the British class system certainly aren't with this deft balance of drawing room niceties time-dissolving back and forth into suspenseful sea drama. As ever with Coward the mix of Surrey-on-a-stick contrasted with cor' blimey Cockneyness is negated with the general decency of the effort. Johnson captures the tea-time spirit with aplomb.Lips were never so politely stiff.