1. Jim Fear's rating of the film King of New York

2. Rui Oliveira's rating of the film King of New York

First time I saw this classic. Good gangster film from the 90s. Christopher Walken at his best.

3. Rubs troll's rating of the film King of New York

Things like,the guy being shot 5 times and taking 5 minutes to die used to piss me off and I would leave the cinema thinking that if the thing hadn't been done on purpose the film was necessarily shit,but now I appreciate that sort of thing.Also,I am going to try that funny face that Christopher Walken pulled in the beginning.

4. Katherine Gill's rating of the film King of New York

5. Superfrog's rating of the film King of New York

Guns, gore, discussable logic and unreall dynamics. Does not convince me at all.

6. basediscourse's rating of the film King of New York

not a bad idea but it's not executed so well. it's pretty trashy despite its extravagant aesthetic. the plot is overwhelmed by the scenes of violence, strained suspense and a few cringeworthy performances. maybe i've missed the point

7. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film King of New York

The more films I see directed by Abel Ferrara, the more I remind myself that his name should crop up more whenever I am asked about my favourite film-makers. This crime drama features a great cast, a superb lead performance from Walken, interestingly murky morality all round, and a pretty solid soundtrack. It also somehow treads through very familiar territory without making you feel like you've seen it all before.

8. Jim Burns's rating of the film King of New York

Let down by a horrible, clashy sound design which toned down would still create enough confusion but allow one to enjoy the fantastic intensity.

9. Federico D'Accinni's rating of the film King of New York

Such an electrifying film on so many levels - Abel Ferrara has the courage to mix the gangster genre with action, crime and drama all at once. Christopher Walken gives a stunning performance. Loved that last sequence on the tube, for how powerfully cinematic it gets all the way till the end. Ferrara definitely knows how to direct a good movie and how to use the cinematic language in the most expressive way possible.

10. Paul Relf's rating of the film King of New York

A brutal unshowy crime film, Christopher Walken is ruthless.

11. SiIencio's rating of the film King of New York

Here Christopher Walken is a sinister gangster... some of the time. Because it just takes for him to smile (or even dance) and Ferrara's ambition to create a gritty NY gangsta piece evaporates leaving behind a clownish version of the genre. For every stylish shot and menacing face there are countless testimonies of cartoonist bravado and implausable events. Ferrara is not up there with the big boys of the genre yet.

12. marxsbeard's rating of the film King of New York

it's not the best of ferrara / st john's work together. but goddamn does new york feel grim. it has a fabulous ghostly unperformance from walken. and a great fucking soundtrack / score.

13. Chris sutton's rating of the film King of New York

It looks great and Walken does his trademark menace, but beyond that this film is paper-thin both in plot and characters. A promising first act is quickly derailed by a half-baked conclusion. A wannabe contemporary of genuine crime classics like Goodfellas, Scarface or Heat. This has none of the depth of those films. Mildly entertaining, if disappointing.

14. Leigh Collins's rating of the film King of New York

I'd heard this was good, but to me it felt like amateur hour, like the script was thrown together in a drunken few hours. It feels very much like an Eighties film, like an overly choreographed MTV video with a dash of cartoonish violence. And yet, it's very watchable, with Walken giving an outstanding performance as the inscrutable drug baron, and the rest of the cast barely believable.

15. dmol's rating of the film King of New York

Compared to other gangster movies, this one had way more atmosphere and a strange groove. Christopher Walken is magnificent, he was made for this, and Laurence Fishburne rocked it too.

16. Cinemarco's rating of the film King of New York

if not the best american ganster movie ever, for sure the most stylish.

17. karl's rating of the film King of New York

Some exciting points but feels more like a music video than a crime drama. Meh.

18. Tja's rating of the film King of New York

King of New York, aka When Cops Turn Bad. Brutal action combines with creepy Walken as a mastermind con just released from prison with delusions of patronage grandeur. It's not coincidental that one of Walken's rival villains has a liking for Bella Lugosi movies, but W out-creeps the silent movie star 10 to 1. Blood on the mean streets action thriller.

19. First Lady Dré's rating of the film King of New York

20. Zanna Walsh's rating of the film King of New York

I'm sure there were at least 2 moments where Walken looked right at us. Mr Fish looked like he'd stepped right out of Clockwork Orange, and David Caruso, should never have left NYPD blue. (later I know) I don't think its a masterpiece, I think the story is weak, but, glad I've seen it

21. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film King of New York

Like a mature version of Death Wish 3. It encapsulates that era's weird fetishisation of looney New York hoods yelling and jumping in the street satanically... But then add's a 'good' criminal. And now everything is dun' changed.

22. miles's rating of the film King of New York

The audio is really bad in this one, however loved the film, Abel's movies are like Scorsese b-movies. love it.

23. goulton green's rating of the film King of New York

And where is the art here? Whichever of the tracks/storeys director opened up to pursue remained by the end naive, untold, hollow. Being a scatterbrained impressed by the ridiculous underside of eighties is really a state not to be. Maybe if it was a musical instead...

24. anwoody's rating of the film King of New York

Squalid. I don't see the point of this film. The hackneyed glamorisation of guns, drugs, and machismo is neither thought-provoking or entertaining, and as a piece of "art" lacks responsibility, moral compass or redemption. More akin to a shoot em up video game, and if anything worthwhile can be said, should provoke questions about whether we need this level of unintelligent masculine violence on our screens.

← Previous 1 3 4