1. Mario Tomchev's rating of the film Leviathan

If Hardcore Henry was directed by Philippe Grandrieux..

2. Superfrog's rating of the film Leviathan

technically convincing, the narration is inexistent. I must admit that while I was at time amazed by images the longish shots did not talk to me at all, possibly because they are missing a technical link of a more enticing soundtrack.

3. angelicidea's rating of the film Leviathan

This is a brilliantly immersive film about life aboard a fishing boat. It follows an unusual approach in going completely visual and installing cameras at different locations on the boat. I had trouble figuring out what I was looking at in half of the scenes, but that just added to the appeal.

4. Nachtreich's rating of the film Leviathan

5. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Leviathan

6. vordven's rating of the film Leviathan

7. Brotherdeacon's rating of the film Leviathan

Pipilotti Rist on that brown acid everyone warns you about. I think I also noticed quick upside down cuts of Varg Vikernes in green weather gear pulling the gills and entrails from Bilbo Baggins, but I could be mistaken.

8. James Mackin's rating of the film Leviathan

This is a documentary filled entirely with visuals of a fishing industry. If that interests you, more power to you. But me? Nope.

9. wraithinlimbo's rating of the film Leviathan

The screams, singing and wails that come from the machinery really help to make this film so captivating. Despite the long takes, the film is so dynamic as there is rapid movement occurring constantly in microscopic levels. The seagulls above and the deep sea below work as a dualistic metaphor. I can't help but feel a familiarity when watching this film in the way one would have an experience of deja-vu.

10. Braddis's rating of the film Leviathan

I guess "Leviathan" is a much better title than "GoPro on a fishing net for 83 minutes".

11. Eric Rucker's rating of the film Leviathan

A vision of hell. Captured the dark side of Moby Dick amazingly well, and even some of the humor. Poetic, novelistic, journalistic. Biblical, metaphorical. The leviathan is us. The apocalypse is us.

12. Sybille Meyer's rating of the film Leviathan

what a great film... it reminded me of the early experimental films mixed with documentary using 21st century tools. No narration gives me the freedom to just observe and the story here is pretty clear.

13. mpho3's rating of the film Leviathan

Darwin's Nightmare at sea. Influenced by Moby Dick, "the result is a much more than an anthropological exercise. It is an exposition of blood, salt and sweat, the record of a deadly industry carried out on our behalf, far beyond our cosy, everyday lives. Watching it is as near as you will get to the experience itself. I recommend sea-sickness pills – or at least a good tot of bourbon." - Philip Hoare, The Guardian

14. Joe Pryweller's rating of the film Leviathan

A great filmmaking feat, with the fishing boat as sea monster, a feral metal machine that cuts through the brine while greedily gutting and devouring its prey. The images were fantastic -- and fantastically original in letting us see a fishing vessel with new eyes. But, I have to admit, two-thirds through the movie, I had enough of it. Seeing it on a big screen instead of my laptop may have made a difference.

15. Alex's rating of the film Leviathan

There was so much to like about this film. At the same time, however, these kinds of films predicated on an interesting theory, an interesting process, and ultimately, leading toward a viewers mind boggling assumption as to how much work it took to edit and finalize, these kinds of films usually tend to be short lived and thus, ineffective. But again, so much to like about this film. Images were beautiful...

16. Andrè Montage's rating of the film Leviathan

A fascinating one of a kind film. An experience. A fly on the wall wet dream.

17. Daniel Riddle's rating of the film Leviathan

I watched this thinking it was a different film by the same name. I couldn't turn it off though. I watched it late in the night. This film is intriguing and a bit experimental. It stuck an emotional chord and wouldn't let go.

18. Rad Perspective's rating of the film Leviathan

"Leviathan" forces its audience to stare into the maw of darkness, desolation, and tranquility, all seemingly at once. But as filmmakers Lucien Castaing-Taylor and Verena Paravel let the natural undulation of the sea direct the camera, they also let the camera linger, and linger, and linger, and what once started out as hypnotic quickly snaps us out of the trance, all too aware now that we're watching a movie.

19. lockworm's rating of the film Leviathan

20. Peter McKay's rating of the film Leviathan

the best experimental. The edges between handheld and unmanned cameras, between film score (was there music?) and monstrous soundscape, between cascades of fish and singular images of their bloated faces, all point to an existential queasiness. I kept thinking of Taoist ideas of creation the same as destruction...etc. Kept getting lulled by the compositions, until blood dripping buckets and machetes were beautiful.

21. PMF's rating of the film Leviathan

One of the best contemporary films i've seen. Outstanding.

22. Ben Loory's rating of the film Leviathan

23. Soulo_Guero's rating of the film Leviathan

It's a little poem, told visually for an hour-and-a-half. It's okay if you don't have the patience for that.

24. Zac Weber's rating of the film Leviathan

In the 21st Century, movies like Leviathan remind us that cinema is a visual art form first and foremost. This is a visceral sensory experience.

← Previous 1 3 4