1. FISCHER's rating of the film Liebelei

Incontournable mélodrame, aussi bien à lire, qu'à voir ! www.cinefiches.com

2. cin·aes·the·tic's rating of the film Liebelei

A straightforward story about star-crossed lovers is lent additional weight by its circumstances: 'Liebelei' is set in Vienna about a decade before World War One; it was filmed in 1932, shortly before the Nazis came to power in Germany. As as result the film has an eerie 'calm before the storm' feeling. The clumsy subtitling and apparent skips in many scenes are distracting, but the film is still worth seeing.

3. cin-e-phile22's rating of the film Liebelei

Love,lust and tragedy. Elegant from start to finish. Simple-looking,strong and unforgettable production values regarding 19th century Wien that haven't aged a bit. And a very romantic use of the camera - what others have called fluid of his subsequent style.Magda Schneider has exactly the right kind of quality that lifts this story to such a beautiful piece of cinema.

4. Nabil Hamzaki's rating of the film Liebelei

"Since I met you, the past doesn't count."

5. Graf von Zahl's rating of the film Liebelei

Opera, love, duel, tragedy, oh, ah

6. Brian Gutierrez's rating of the film Liebelei

Pulled me completely in to its story. It succeeds in having me care for every character.

7. Ben Loory's rating of the film Liebelei

love ophuls, but he wasn't quite all the way there yet

8. Marco Della Motta's rating of the film Liebelei

It might not be among Ophuls' masterpieces, but this film is no slouch, either. It's a shame he didn't adapt more of Schnitzler's works.

9. the_mentaculus's rating of the film Liebelei

An exceptional early Ophuls, equally concerned with brief, luminous glimpses of hope and the silent menace of looming tragedy. The success of the melodrama is sustained solely by the natural sentimentality of Magda Schneider, while the gauzy chiaroscuro ups the stakes, lending the whole film the warm sense of a half-remembered dream.

10. rijessett's rating of the film Liebelei

What an opportunity for a restoration

11. Funda Can Çuvalcı's rating of the film Liebelei

He is one of the masters of cinema along with other names like Griffith, Melies, Eisenstein, Vertov.

12. captainfez's rating of the film Liebelei

Mind where the Tokay leads you.

13. SpacePirate's rating of the film Liebelei

Not a bad film really, just wasnt all that interesting. For fans of Ophuls, which I am. Extra star added for the duel scenes and the ending.

14. Ghostman's rating of the film Liebelei

A great and emotionally devastating film that is made by a master. I've only seen two Ophuls' films so far but I can already feel confident in saying that he is one of the great filmmakers.

15. Quattro's rating of the film Liebelei

The simplest story, delicate and touching. I was impressed by the acting, so natural – especially for those years' standards. The editing is very rough and the visuals may need a restoration, but fortunately the beautiful atmosphere is still there.

16. Harrywolf Krstl's rating of the film Liebelei

17. Sidereus's rating of the film Liebelei

Camera movements so incredible for the time, huge actors, and a Shakespearean history makes this movie awesome.

18. Victor Gonzalez's rating of the film Liebelei

19. Loz Loory's rating of the film Liebelei

4.5 Great use of the pause at the beginning of Beethoven's 5th for the conductor to tell the father to come back in a half hour. Loved seeing the old cello case. Wonderful filming of the Viennese Waltz in restaurant & then at ball. Loved the father's meditation on his youthful freedom vs. his sister's captivity. Can see why the Nazis would suppress this meditation on the hypocrisy of the military.

20. Samuel Wells's rating of the film Liebelei

I think I entered the film with unfair expectations, holding the film to the standards of an absolute favorite such as La Ronde. To say briefly, it does not match up well. Though this film still is of merit, containing its fair share of intrigue and drama that will keep you invested. Following an intertwining narrative of high society it manages tie things together well. Fitting, as I am reading Anna Karenina now.

21. Esteban Henao's rating of the film Liebelei

That camera moving is just something. Lovely Christine and that scene with the horses and the snowy landscape. Easy to understand why he is referred as to an example of elegance in cinema.

22. Joe Pryweller's rating of the film Liebelei

Opulent, alive, vivid and utterly immersive. Even with a bad film transfer, scratchy dialogue and limited subtitles, the film manages to transport one to the disciplined German landscape of honor, secrets and betrayal. The initial opera scene pulls the viewer in immediately, while Ophuls' roaming camera seems to probe the characters' inner minds. Rich with wit and warmth amid tragedy. I need to see more Ophuls.

23. ronny's rating of the film Liebelei

not quite as refined as "La Ronde," yet captivating nonetheless.

24. darth_david@msn.com's rating of the film Liebelei

Max Ophuls es un maestro. Esta película no tiene la grandeza de sus obras finales, pero vale mucho la pena.