Para uma melhor experiência no MUBI, atualize seu navegador.

1. Jugu Abraham's rating of the film Manuel on the Island of Wonders

An incredible film about a 6-year old, his dreams, his family, fate, past and future. Superior to the Satyajit Ray's Apu trilogy and his two "Goopy gyne" films. It's Ruiz' own screenplay not someone's novel. Use of magic realism, Chilean politics, a fish named Jeremiah (Biblical prophet, mourning Jerusalem--read Chile).. This is a 3 part film and I have only seen the first part (55 min). Hope to see the next two.

2. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Manuel on the Island of Wonders

It is fitting that Ruiz's masterpiece (speaking personally) should come in the form of a children's television serial containing passages of unspeakable beauty. It has a similarly hauntological tone to other hushed pagan magic children's shows of the 80s - Children of the Stones; The Changes; The Box of Delights. One of the most emotionally truthful depictions of childhood I've ever been privileged to see <3

3. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Manuel on the Island of Wonders

Starts off perfectly fine, but somewhere at the halfway mark it descends into pentaludic chaos. That's where "characters are thrown dice-like into combinations and situations governed by the play of chance and destiny". Chaos breeds contempt.

4. Rosina Rossini's rating of the film Manuel on the Island of Wonders

I guess I just can't understand Ruiz.

5. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film Manuel on the Island of Wonders

6. tidal waif's rating of the film Manuel on the Island of Wonders

4,5 It's only fair that instead of the promised angry judges, we had Ruiz preside over the end-of-times tribunal, because he is defragmentation's master laureate: first calls out every cell, gives it a name and an histoire (he's got that much imagination, I assure you), dispatches it to a contiguous region and liberates the light from wherever it is diffusely stored. I emerged far more luminous from this and it's the

7. mubianer's rating of the film Manuel on the Island of Wonders

Amazing. However, the viewing conditions were horrible, about the same as when I first watched Out 1 and Letter from Siberia. Is there any hope of a better non-dubbed version appearing?!

8. knockkneed's rating of the film Manuel on the Island of Wonders

I would have loved this as a child. It stands well with The Phantom Tollbooth and A Wrinkle in Time. Chapter 3 is notable for its dialogue and a hilarious nod to the Andrei Rublev intro.

9. Gryn's rating of the film Manuel on the Island of Wonders

Does anyone know where I could find this film? I want to watch it so much, it haven't been able to find it anywhere so far.

10. chanandre's rating of the film Manuel on the Island of Wonders

[Cinémathèque PT #: 35 mm] (2013) This sounds awesome...I wish they'd show this @ Cinemateca Portuguesa...

11. wpqx's rating of the film Manuel on the Island of Wonders

This may be Ruiz' best film.

12. Fatzers's rating of the film Manuel on the Island of Wonders

please someone release this in good quality :)