1. G.'s rating of the film Moana with Sound

Christ! What a feat of sound and editing. And the fonts!

2. Loz Loory's rating of the film Moana with Sound

Glorious, stupendous cinematography. So glad to have the soundtrack, though it may not be accurate. It increases the impact of the images and deepens our emotional experience. The original inter-titles are beautifully lettered. Fascinating scenes of catching the tortoise and the crab. Wonderful footage of making barkcloth fabric. Felt perhaps a touch too staged at the end with the dancing. Still, a great documentary

3. lou.'s rating of the film Moana with Sound

An anthropological research of a Samoan tribe of an Island in the Pacific Ocean. Nothing happens, actually. But: singing and dancing are simply enchanting, the daily routine (hunting, cooking, sewing, swimming...) is full of joy and soothing, rituals, such as the painful Polynesian-style tattooing which marks a 'real man', are almost hypnotic. This is truly a precious shell :)

4. Aileilaa's rating of the film Moana with Sound

colonialist view of the people

5. David R Williams's rating of the film Moana with Sound

Beautiful images but watch with the sound off or use your own soundtrack. For reasons that may be completely personal, the "new" soundtrack just grated on my nerves. It felt unnecessary and forced. Still...those images.

6. Superfrog's rating of the film Moana with Sound

Sound is good, images not bad, story pretty weak.

7. Quattro's rating of the film Moana with Sound

What the Flaherties crafted back in the 20s (!) is remarkable in so many ways: both cinematographic (the framing, the editing) and ethnographical–depicting a culture so distant from theirs, without any trace of exoticism. Their work is so simple and yet so respectful, and joyful. And Monica–what she did is just crazy. It's clear that some people really loved this film–and that's what makes it so special, above all.

8. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Moana with Sound

Quite the delight, Moana AKA Moana With Sound (as per the 1980 reissue title, according to MUBI) is a documentary with a number of staged scenes included. The images all hold up VERY well, thanks to some tender loving care, and the new soundtrack works. A nice curio piece that showcases quite a beautiful location and people.

9. Greg's rating of the film Moana with Sound

A well crafted documentary by Robert Flaherty, on the life and day to day rituals of a Samoan tribe of the island of Savai’i. This documentary depicts the true Moana, form day to day hunting and gathering to fishing, swimming, and other recreational activities, even how he is marked as a man in the village. A very well done and remastered part of cinematography.

10. panagiotatos's rating of the film Moana with Sound

perfect, ten out of ten! Magnificent documentary of a lost world!

11. Stevie M's rating of the film Moana with Sound

The fact that this was filmed 90+ years ago is simply astonishing! How much the relatively modern soundtrack adds to or detracts (or should that be distracts?) from the overall effect is questionable in my mind. While the singing is beautiful, the dubbed voices took away some of the (albeit staged) authenticity. I particularly enjoyed the dressmaking and tattooing scenes. I'm not quite sure what that says about me!

12. Myles's rating of the film Moana with Sound

Interesting a contrived "documentary" footage. But I'm sorry, the sound doesn't fit. At least in my mind, there's a hurtle between the film conventions of a silent movie and tacked on soundtrack 55 years later.

13. Emma Teasdale's rating of the film Moana with Sound

Beautiful pacing, scenes and narrative. Almost meditative to watch. Worth a watch even just for the interesting historical and cultural perspective

14. kdd's rating of the film Moana with Sound

I lived for two years in village in the Pacific and although I know parts of this movie were staged, it still didn't feel wrong or faked to me. Definitely an enjoyable watch.

15. Sarah Pietsch's rating of the film Moana with Sound

Three stars for the film, another for the soundtrack, which worked really well and brought it to life. It's worth reading the Notebook article for some background information. Gentle and interesting, even if it is staged. Lovely singing.

16. benjamin.br@hotmail.co.uk's rating of the film Moana with Sound

Exquisitely shot and matched seamlessly with ambient sounds of folk song and bird calls, Moana is a charming if somewhat meandering and slow paced film by hyper kinetic modern standards. Not quite up there with Tabu, but nonetheless still a must see for all Flaherty enthusiasts.

17. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Moana with Sound

Beautifully shot documentary. Intriguing to see a different culture's day-to-day lifestyle.

18. Leigh Collins's rating of the film Moana with Sound

To me, this was like a cross between an anthropological study and a slow episode of The Island with Bear Grylls in which all the competitors are experts in island life. The film meanders between staged scenes where little happens - some are interesting, some are tedious. It would have helped if something vaguely dramatic happened, and if the editor was a little more ruthless in the cutting room.