1. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film On the Waterfront

3-4. A functional, minimal script (with some snappy dialogue) that translated excellently to film, 'On The Waterfront' reminds me a bit of 'Rebel Without A Cause' in that it kinda has the feeling of being a well-made PSA, only in this case it's about what it takes to be a good American (and a good Christian). The central romance has some rough spots (the apartment kiss), but almost every piece serves its part well.

2. viola mombe's rating of the film On the Waterfront

film da brividi con un finale che andrebbe rivisto ogni mattina per ricordarci ogni volta da che parte bisognerebbe stare. una lezione giornaliera di coraggio ed estrema fatica. Impressionanti tutti gli attori, incantevole il prete "E' UNA CROCEFISSIONE!"

3. FISCHER's rating of the film On the Waterfront

Un classique de la "Columbia" qui reste un grand moment de cinéma... www.cinefiches.com

4. SeemsLikeFun's rating of the film On the Waterfront

Very well made anti-labor, pro-snitching propaganda.

5. MistaRichard's rating of the film On the Waterfront

Seldom do you see such a tightly knit plot with impeccable directing, topped off with performances that never fall short of career-defining.

6. -REM-'s rating of the film On the Waterfront

7. Paul Relf's rating of the film On the Waterfront

8. ofNatalie LA's rating of the film On the Waterfront

When you go against the crowd, they will react violently because they need you more than you need them.

9. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film On the Waterfront

The standout performance is not Brando but the man who plays the priest, Carl Malden.

10. Jonathan Smith's rating of the film On the Waterfront

Kazan's politics aside, On the Waterfront is a bonafide classic & an influential precursor to New Hollywood. Brando leads the line superbly as the tough but tender Malloy. His support cast aren't to be overlooked with Lee J. Cobb particularly bullish as the villain. Schulberg's script is obviously brilliant (I coulda been a contender!), but it's the backdrop of a real New York that adds a layer of vital authenticity.

11. Victor Gonzalez's rating of the film On the Waterfront

12. patrick chen's rating of the film On the Waterfront

Amazingly acted, captured me right from get go. A true screen legend and acting master class.

13. sizelando's rating of the film On the Waterfront

An unimpeachable masterpiece, staggeringly well realised.

14. Robert McMillan's rating of the film On the Waterfront

A tale of courage and choice, hopelessness and corruption, textured with unflinching grit and powerful performances across the board. 'On the Waterfront' wields the rare power of timelessness with effortless persuasion.

15. estrella66's rating of the film On the Waterfront

16. miles's rating of the film On the Waterfront

17. tube_screamer's rating of the film On the Waterfront

One of these films that had somehow always evaded me. Glad to see that Brando's performance lived up to the hype.

18. Sophie Taylor's rating of the film On the Waterfront

Eva Marie Saint is an underrated actress here; considering Brando's fame and talent it's easy to see why people say they'll remember him from this film. But her portrayal was equally fiery, emotional and even when calm, her character was brave. Everyone in this film acted wonderfully though. Right down to the only time I've really been happy to hear the words, "All right! Let's get to work!"

19. Thomas Dods's rating of the film On the Waterfront

Classic American picture. Excellent script and brilliant performances all round, not just Brando. While the story is a little dated now, the acting style still stands up as very modern and you can feel the influence on US 70's cinema.

20. LASHLEY's rating of the film On the Waterfront

21. Penelope q's rating of the film On the Waterfront

One of my favourite films of all times. You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it. It was you, Charley

22. Sol Petchorine's rating of the film On the Waterfront

_ There's one thing we've got in this country and that's ways of fightin' back. Gettin' the facts to the public. Testifyin' for what you know is right against what you know is wrong. Now what's ratting to them is telling the truth for you. Now can't you see that?

23. Superfrog's rating of the film On the Waterfront

Black and white grainy shot, with a peppering of social, a little romance and no great group dynamic. Not following the rave reviews in this one. Give me soviet drama instead anytime.

24. m.jempson@btinternet.com's rating of the film On the Waterfront

Always worth a watch. For Cobb, Kazan & Schulberg was this a form of contrition for welshing on comrades by giving evidence to the House Un-American Activities Committee? Precisely what sort of corruption is it attack upon corrupt - financial or political? Or is it just a paeon for those individuals willing to stand up and be counted

← Previous 1 3 4