1. Philippe Lajède's rating of the film Out of the Past

2. Enrico Gaudenzi's rating of the film Out of the Past

Tu chiamali, se vuoi, capolavori...

3. LauraPalmer's rating of the film Out of the Past

4. Renton47's rating of the film Out of the Past

We can never enter classics clean, and sometimes history prevents them from teaching us how to watch. The good: the globetrotting locations, the cast, Tourneur's compositions. For a film about past baggage I couldn't remove this one's reputation, and conceptually didn't feel utilised in the way of 'History of Violence'. Schematic to a fault. 3, until next time...

5. viola mombe's rating of the film Out of the Past

6. Matthew Catanzano's rating of the film Out of the Past

"Can you forgive me?" "I'll never know, I'm not going to try."

7. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film Out of the Past

I've always shied away from movies with Mitchum, but this one won me over big time. His cool demeanor, physique, and voice make him a perfect match for film noir. It's not often that I rate a film noir any higher than 3 stars because they're all kinda the same. While this one surely keeps to the rules of the genre, it has a unique storytelling structure which I really appreciated.

8. exoskeleton's rating of the film Out of the Past

Jane Greer stole my heart forever

9. FISCHER's rating of the film Out of the Past

Un classique du film noir, avec un étonnant Robert Mitchum, dirigé de mains de maître par un incontournable réalisateur qui a marqué de son empreinte bien des genres cinématographiques, allant du fantastique au western en passant par une impressionnante série de courts métrages... www.cinefiches.com

10. Número Zero's rating of the film Out of the Past

11. Bertrand Queysan's rating of the film Out of the Past

12. Ramona Arsene's rating of the film Out of the Past

The best thing about American cinema of the past is the witty dialogues. Priceless.

13. Aardsy's rating of the film Out of the Past

14. the_mentaculus's rating of the film Out of the Past

At 97 minutes, this is not simply a brisk picture - the plot mechanisms reminded me of that Daffy Duck cartoon where he keeps one-upping the studio exec with, "And then there was a food shortage! The dam broke!! The volcano erupted!!!" before shooting himself. Don't get me wrong - this is class, through and through - taut and windy and morally mischievous. But like the exec, I finally asked myself, "Is that all?"

15. Terry_Moby's rating of the film Out of the Past

4.5 "Cigarette?" - "Smoking."

16. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Out of the Past

Bob and Jane Greer, Bob and Rhonda Fleming, Bob and Virginia Huston, Me and my wife. Highly recommended.

17. samuset's rating of the film Out of the Past

I really liked this film. A curious and ecstatic moment: the shot of the door opening onto the rainy garden in Mexico.

18. Luis Pires's rating of the film Out of the Past

Mitchum is really off-putting and the script is particularly cheesy.

19. jonijtr's rating of the film Out of the Past

Actually I came here only for Mitchum, but damn, Jane Greer steals the show, she's an amazing Femme Fatale, and I can't believe I have to said this to a woman, but she's such an asshole. Btw the use of natural landscape here is brilliant, amazing noir.

20. Roslyn's rating of the film Out of the Past

If ever an actor was made for noir, it was Robert Mitchum, they don't come more hard boiled than him. Great film with fantastic dialogue delivered perfectly by Mitchum. Of course it's an adaptation from a novel (that I didn't know)... and the author also penned the script. All in all quite delicious.

21. SpacePirate's rating of the film Out of the Past

Top 5 noir, right up there with Laura, Double Indemnity, etc

22. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Out of the Past

Well written, acted, directed, and shot. A staple of noir films that skips along at a fast pace with wit and suspense, as well as darkness and smoking coolness. Robert Mitchum is perfection as the sharp tongued lead, and there are great performances all around, especially the always entertaining Kirk Douglas and the seductive femme fatale Jane Greer. Film noir crystallized and epitomized.

23. Mx Nihil's rating of the film Out of the Past

- That's not the way to win. - Is there a way to win? -There's a way to lose more slowly.

24. MS1915's rating of the film Out of the Past

Now I know why Robert Mitchum is the face of film noir. He calms off as so calm and collected starring opposite Jane Greer, the quintessential femme fatale. They play off each other nice and the film keeps you on your toes. Not to mention Kirk Douglas is a great addition to the mix. I also think special attention should be paid to the lighting. Noir at its finest.