1. Balthaz21's rating of the film Portrait

2. DanielSpeight's rating of the film Portrait

3. The Heff's rating of the film Portrait

The stillness of people as nature carries on...a wonderful introduction to this man and a great short to get enveloped in...recommended.

4. Luke Corradine's rating of the film Portrait

Austere indeed and utterly beautiful. A hidden gem in my opinion

5. DrFirestone's rating of the film Portrait

Forgotten place, and forgotten people; somewhere, lost in time... The long, static shots reminded me of old photographs coming back to life; moody and lonely. It's probably a bit too long though, I think it would have more impact as a 15-20min feature.

6. Charlie's rating of the film Portrait

Muy hermosa fotografía viva, sin música y con los sonidos de la naturaleza. Me dieron ganas de estar ahí. Me pareció una muy buena propuesta pero no es apta para hiperactivos. Me costó un poco de trabajo mantener mi atención en la pantalla.

7. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film Portrait

The kind of idea that, if made by a film student, would be derided as pretentious. But when a serious filmmaker does it, it's art. I think the description is wrong though; it's not still pictures rather film images pretending to be still pictures. Kind of a zen experience.

8. Funda Can Çuvalcı's rating of the film Portrait

Portraits of old but working people. They are like from another time and space. It is like you are turning the pages of a photography album.

9. B o g d a n's rating of the film Portrait

mai sincer decât o pălăvrăgeală

10. Axel's rating of the film Portrait

I wish I knew what I was watching. The images are beautiful and the faces haunting. But. I wish I knew why I was watching them.

11. HAPZ98's rating of the film Portrait

Planos enteros de campesinos, paneos y planos generales de tomas rurales acompañados de silbidos, viento y otros sonidos silvestres que transmiten una tranquilidad y simple felicidad admirable.

12. captainfez's rating of the film Portrait

It's Too Fucking Cold To Be Standing Here, Dude: The Movie.

13. Bekriah Mawasi's rating of the film Portrait

People of Russian countryside through an old lens that depicts melancholy and perhaps submissiveness to the camera. This takes me back to an absurd film which tries to find Trotsky's birthplace (somewhere in Ukraine now), the filmmaker never finds the house but randomly meets an old couple in the middle of nowhere who remembered vaguely Trotsky's father. Let's rethink the portrait in the selfie-bombarded times.

14. Graf von Zahl's rating of the film Portrait

Different take on ethnology. Initially I had a hard time trying to focus and was scared by the prospect of spending half an hour watching this, but ultimately it worked. The're old old, grim and distant and you're really surprised when you realize the movie was made in 2002 and not in thirties.

15. jjallen91@gmail.com's rating of the film Portrait

Beautiful, mesmerising and melancholy.

16. EdieEmm's rating of the film Portrait

Portraits infused with time. People and place unified by their appearance on a common screen; by the unbroken ambient soundscape; by the wind... Deleuze says: Through movement, the Whole is divided into objects, & objects are reunited in the Whole, with the Whole being Pure Ceaseless Becoming. Can we be so elevated through breath? Through wind? Loznitsa sure makes it feel that way. Quietly, affectingly profound. 3.75

17. msmichel's rating of the film Portrait

'Serene, I fold my hands and wait, Nor care for wind, nor tide, nor sea, I rave no more 'gainst time or fate, For lo! my own shall come to me. ...What matter if I stand alone? I wait with joy the coming years, My heart shall reap where it hath sown, And garner up its fruit of tears...' BURROUGHS

18. BUSTER TIERNEY's rating of the film Portrait

Procédé épuré qui, au-delà de la pose photographique, fait vivre les gens par la bande son et la nature vivante. Pas une seule malabaraise courant après un panda dans le champ...

19. zoerose's rating of the film Portrait

Picture: an instant captured in eternal stillness or many consecutive instants recorded in running film?Loznitsa places his subjects still in front of his camera, but nobody can tell the wind not to blow their clothes, the eyes not inevitably blink the dry wind away,the unruly dog to sit motionless,the old hand not to tremble. Uninvited movement slips into, blowing life to a seemingly unmoving but everchanging world.

20. Mehdi Smairy's rating of the film Portrait

No movement, only portraits, real people and real expression. For them, time has stopped, but life still there.

21. zi's rating of the film Portrait

I found this jarring. I felt guilty in my relatively physically comfortable, contemporary, somewhat cosmopolitan life... that I could scarcely relate to these people, who are really not so far away from me on this planet. And yes, time has effectively stopped for them, but still...

22. Joao Pedro Amorim's rating of the film Portrait

the portrait of a region: its landscapes, its peoples, its animals, its sounds.

23. David G. Mabey's rating of the film Portrait

Very cool.. a little part of me wanted this to be color, but still great images.

24. Sarah Pietsch's rating of the film Portrait

Still and calm, with movement in the sound track but not the people. Looks like it was made in 1902 not 2002, the land that time forgot. Slow progression through the seasons, it's quite a relief when we reach summer, with the flowers, birds and warmth. Winter looks pretty bleak, I had to go and get a hot cup of tea in sympathy.