1. Rocco's rating of the film Pulse

Though ostensibly a film about feelings of detachment in the face technological advancement and interconnectedness, Kurosawa's chilly, lurching masterwork is one of cinema's most powerful depictions of the loneliness that has always pervaded the human experience. In his vision, the internet isn't responsible for the ache of solitude (but it sharpens it) and even death cannot assuage this pain.

2. Jason's rating of the film Pulse

Kiyoshi Kurosawa appears to have a brain of utterly original vintage. The way he blocks things out and constructs regimes of screen activity bears witness to a strident singularity. This is not a man striving to be different. This is a man who simply is different, down to the helices. PULSE is one of his masterpieces. It is about anomie, confusion, and depredation. Bleak as hell, yes. But incandescent.

3. Jim Fear's rating of the film Pulse

Way ahead of its time in the sense that it's a prelude to the hikikimori societal crisis, isolation and the mental illness that comes along with it. To top it all, the mood, atmosphere and effects are so unsettling makes you want to move away from the screen, specially the close in voices and painted shadows. There is kind of an awkward moment when the "optmistic" hero can't lift the girl in the end by himself tho..

4. Mathias Palmberg's rating of the film Pulse

Sometimes stunning film but also frustrating. The first hour is very strong but then the movie falls into a meandering mode that leaves the audience adrift. When the ending comes the promise of the first half of the movie is not delivered upon which is a shame. Still there are many scenes to admire in here and as a think piece it works great. And it was rather prophetic too which is cool...

5. Schumeila's rating of the film Pulse

6. Miguel Plante's rating of the film Pulse

Pulse, plutôt bien réalisé par Kiyoshi Kurosawa, est un bon film d'horreur japonais utilisant la technologie et internet pour exprimer la solitude d'une génération qui croit pouvoir utiliser la machine pour se rapprocher. Erreur. Le film a quelques scènes vraiment abjectes et horrifiques, plutôt intenses, mais perd de l'intérêt à un scénario pauvre, cliché, et au final trop peu original.

7. Royce Jr.'s rating of the film Pulse

“I don’t start with a philosophical or thematical approach. Instead I often start with a genre that’s relatively easy to understand and then explore how I want to work in that genre.” - Exactly!

8. FISCHER's rating of the film Pulse

Une oeuvre étrange qui flirte avec le canular, mais dont l'intérêt reste prégnant... www.cinefiches.com

9. ermete polpette's rating of the film Pulse

10. -REM-'s rating of the film Pulse

11. Kreg's rating of the film Pulse

The muddled and confusing plot don't detract from the atmosphere or moments of horror. With better care, the premise could have shone more, making a better impact and reaching a wider audience.

12. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Pulse

13. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Pulse

An early film to explore (abstractly) the internet as an avenue by which we seek connection and in the process isolate ourselves ever further. I really admire the way the world of the characters gradually becomes part of the metaphor, with more and more people disappearing, and the leads getting continually lonelier and lonelier as they start to actively drift into abstract locations.

14. Renton47's rating of the film Pulse

We talk about prescience of technological vision, but never emotional vision. 'Pulse' is about the betrayal of a utopia promising connection, instead enhancing isolation. It nails a sense of wonder, dread and melancholia, eschewing answers in favour of ambience. I wonder if this will ring true for generations who won't remember the time of dial-up and PS1, Resident Evil and communities forged with sincerity.

15. wiwitaek's rating of the film Pulse

If I make a logical system built based from the movie, it just simply wouldn't make any sense. Some parts of the movie contradicts it self and it seems like it's not made on purpose. But I've got to admit, there are a lot of details from the movie that I really adore and I believe there are sequel for this, American remake, but I think I'm going to skipped it.

16. Johnny Mislow's rating of the film Pulse

17. Ricardo Andrade's rating of the film Pulse

My internet connection dropped dead while watching this. After trying the usual revival methods, I had to reset the computer in order to get it working again. Creepy myse-en-abîme shit.

18. Enkiled's rating of the film Pulse

19. Balthaz21's rating of the film Pulse

20. le Gars's rating of the film Pulse

Videodrome 2.0. While James Woods wanted to enter the screen, the protagonists of Pulse wait for the ghosts to exit from their computers. It is a lucid analysis of the contemporary society: the social medias are everywhere (they are the real ghosts). Prophetic.

21. Neide Ramos's rating of the film Pulse

Be warned, this film is really slow paced. The way it's shot and how it managed to portrait such common fears as loneliness and death are not to be ignored, but there are too many blank moments that don't justify it being 2 hours long. Best part were the shadows left on the walls - dark, undefined, but definitely human looking, creepy as fuck! If it weren't for those scenes, I wouldn't even remember I watched this.

22. David Grillo's rating of the film Pulse

A complete invasion of our illusionary space, ghosts, like computers isolate our surroundings. "Pulse" gives us a clear portrayal of an apocalypse after the world has gone missing presumably accounting for those gone and missing on the web. See the dead on screen as bodily projections and see yourself on the screen right next to them.

23. mlstrx's rating of the film Pulse

24. Log Lady's rating of the film Pulse

A fighter against the trend of cheap jump scares, Pulse is remarkably atmospheric and slowly gets under your skin with fantastic (and scary as shit) ghost visuals. The cinematography enhances the feeling of isolation that grabs the viewer as well. Isn't that what internet is? We're part of another dimension, where we communicate with the world, but at the same time are cut off from the surrounding physical world.