1. Salma's rating of the film Rebels of the Neon God

Placeholder rating until I watch it again!

2. Needle Nose Ned's rating of the film Rebels of the Neon God

I've only seen this and GOODBYE DRAGON INN, and only based on the two I'd say Ming-Liang's sumptuous crawl better suits the gentle, goofy, lonely experience of the theater-going experience, much more than a youth-in-revolt melodrama.

3. Adam GR's rating of the film Rebels of the Neon God

Shards of vantages. Taipei caught in its 90s vibrancy. Tsai Ming-liang plays a bit of existential puppetry, but allows his characters to exist on their own. That score is dank. The ending shot makes it a bit masterful.

4. laura's rating of the film Rebels of the Neon God

compulsively watchable and heart-rending

5. David R Williams's rating of the film Rebels of the Neon God

"... one of the great modern films about big cities and the...psychic toll of living in them." There's a "Rebel without a Cause" vibe here. Disenfranchised, disillusioned, disaffected youth moving through a souless world that cares less about them than they care about it. "....as muted and slow-burning as you expect a Tsai film to be, but just as often, it’s vibrant, nervy, altogether rock ’n’ roll".

6. Loz Loory's rating of the film Rebels of the Neon God

Bleak with a side of bleak. The lead has great James Dean-esque sex appeal. The taxi driver's son lacks the ability to create anything, but he's creative with methods of destruction. Not sure if anything is cut and dry, except that the woman is setting herself up for terrible heartbreak. Also, people might want to leave notes when they duck out for cigarettes. It saves agony at home.

7. dAlton Anthony's rating of the film Rebels of the Neon God

I just started losing interest about three quarters of the way through. Very promising but I kept wanting to jump in the film and resolve the action for the characters.

8. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Rebels of the Neon God

I always say it's interesting to see a great director's first film, because it shows the raw roots for which they build upon and Tsai Ming-Liang is no exception. This film shows the genesis of the distant love triangle, which he would later perfect in his follow up film Vive l'Amour, and his use of sparse dialogue. I think what's missing here is the longer takes, which would become one of his key ingredients...

9. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Rebels of the Neon God

It’s difficult for me to watch movies about disaffected teens because I was always the most affected teen!

10. Monkey Flix's rating of the film Rebels of the Neon God

Those kids are about as engaged with life as I was with this movie.

11. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Rebels of the Neon God

(3.5 stars) Disaffected youth is not just a western problem it seems. They're EVERYWHERE! Heh. Kind of sad, lonely and depressing throughout most of this film. However, the director does a good job of capturing the essence of these characters through looks, behavior and very brief dialogue. It's really a solid film, even if the subject matter is a little bleak.

12. Marlboro_Fawn's rating of the film Rebels of the Neon God

The elements of later Ming-Liang are all here, but so is a youthful energy that would later slip away in favor of more meditative minimalism. Joy is still a possibility, though fleeting as poverty ensnares it, slowly submerging everything like the water in the apartment. Capitalistic drudgery awaits to crush these characters, as explored in the director's next film Vive l'amour.

13. mimivulturul's rating of the film Rebels of the Neon God

14. AugusteB's rating of the film Rebels of the Neon God

The beginning of something really big.

15. Giacomo Pozzi's rating of the film Rebels of the Neon God

16. G. Thomas Esmay's rating of the film Rebels of the Neon God

9/10. A literally colorful depiction of various forms of misspent youth in '90s Taipei. Tsai Ming-liang devotes time to each of the characters, crafting a compelling tapestry of stories.

17. henr.que's rating of the film Rebels of the Neon God

gorgeous from start to finish

18. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Rebels of the Neon God

19. Samuel Donath's rating of the film Rebels of the Neon God

20. EdieEmm's rating of the film Rebels of the Neon God

Early Tsai; with baby-faced Lee, short takes, & plenty of dialogue... But still Tsai. A handful of alienated youth in early 90s Taipei, crossing paths arbitrarily; the contrast of big city and small fate. No one escapes the desaturation, the sound design with no foreground, the seas of people & scooters, the rain; individualities washed together. Quiet disaffection. And Tsai's eye for the beauty of small rebellions.

21. ionosonde's rating of the film Rebels of the Neon God

confused, unhappy people wandering around early 90s taipei -- maybe i'm not an astute enough viewer, but i felt like the story developed rather spontaneously and strangely. two (four) ships passing in the night, but they're barely tied together. close, but misses the mark for me. some absolutely mesmerizing visuals, though -- average composition, but incredible locations that fit the story perfectly.

22. thomasjeff16's rating of the film Rebels of the Neon God

Watching this film felt like I was in a car with a stranger holding the steering wheel--driving to a destination that is unknown to him, but there's something interesting about the stranger that made me stay in the passenger seat; a certain kind of melancholy and exuberance.

23. Kamran's rating of the film Rebels of the Neon God

Brilliantly soft spoken and immensely intriguing. a wonderful debut from both Lee Kang Sheng and Tsai Ming Liang. 88/100 - Excellent.

24. rndzgz's rating of the film Rebels of the Neon God

Hands down one of the best movies I've seen all Summer. The visual aesthetics, combines with the cinematography and beautiful crafting of the storyline makes for a great film to watch