1. FISCHER's rating of the film Safe in Hell

Une superbe oeuvre mélodramatique pour laquelle on dépassera facilement les évidentes invraisemblances scénaristiques, pour ne garder qu'une magnifique dramaturgie fataliste, sans cesse renforcée par une superbe image en noir et blanc, concoctée par l'efficace et prestigieux cameraman Sidney Hickox, et rehaussée par la lumineuse beauté de l'actrice principale, la pétulante Dorothy Mackaill... www.cinefiches.com

2. Luis Pires's rating of the film Safe in Hell

When I grow up, I want to be as cool as Dorothy Mackaill.

3. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Safe in Hell

Hailing from that circa-1930 sub-genre of "misunderstood women forced into wayward lifestyles", this Pre-Code oddity is quite a find, turning everything arbitrary and hard to swallow about melodrama into something electrifyingly sordid. Note the stiff early talkie atmosphere and robust camera movement, as the world of the film comes off as uncanny instead of real. Thanks to the Castro's Pre-Code fest for showing it.

4. Illusion Travels By Streetcar's rating of the film Safe in Hell

"Warners worked best for his temperament and the kind of pictures he wanted to make." http://illusionpodcast.blogspot.com/2014/07/episode-20-william-wellman-1929-1934.html

5. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Safe in Hell

Melodrama at its best. William A. Wellman films the Caribbean as if he were a local and Dorothy Mackaill made it directly to the number one spot on my "I have to see their whole filmography right now" list of actresses. Masterpiece.

6. MarcH's rating of the film Safe in Hell

Better savor it...this astonishing actress only had a short career.

7. Scout Tafoya's rating of the film Safe in Hell

I'd have to see pretty conclusive evidence that there was a more beautiful woman in the world than Doroty Mackaill and this is her most sinfully vivacious role. A truly delicious film.

8. krisjkondrad's rating of the film Safe in Hell

To all you ladies out there who think that men are nothing more than lecherous scum, this is the movie for you. It's more realistic than I'd like to admit. It's also directed by one of the most underrated directors of all time, William Wellman.