1. jessetaylor's rating of the film Sleuth

The production design here is sensational - Wyke's manor is a character in and of itself and the traps, games, and other automata are truly fun and oftentimes spooky. Michael Caine and Sir Laurence Olivier are incredible together and the acting pas de deux they showcase is unmatched by most every other film duo.

2. BernardoL's rating of the film Sleuth

"Sex is the game, wedding is the penalty!" What a wonderful film. Sublime performance by Laurence Olivier. I know I'm in the minority but I found the 2007 remake just as enjoyable.

3. FISCHER's rating of the film Sleuth

Merveilleux et subtil petit film où le spectateur est sans cesse en porte-à-faux, balayé, envoûté au gré d'un scénario fertile en rebondissements et en chausse-trapes d'une étonnante sophistication, dans lequel on se laisse délicieusement enferrer... www.cinefiches.com

4. Gyseltrut's rating of the film Sleuth

Such a gripping, brilliant adaptation of Shaffer's play.

5. postblueink's rating of the film Sleuth

6. el.'s rating of the film Sleuth

Such wonderful dialogue; it's always impressive when that element carries the whole film through and it's so much fun to keep up.

7. A.B. II: The Return's rating of the film Sleuth

It's an adaptation of an award-winning play, a tense battle of wits with lots of twists and darkly comedic dialogue, and it features two English acting greats bringing their A-game to the material. In short, it's a film that's practically tailor-made for me to love.

8. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Sleuth

9. J.J. 'Jake' Gittes's rating of the film Sleuth

This is the original version. Contrary to common reviews the remake is better. Why? (1) Unnecessarily overlong, you can easily cut-off the boring first hour completely; and there are hangovers. (2) Lawrence Olivier is not the appropriate cast, he has got a strong tendency to drag this into comedy. (3) This is not a comedy, it is a psycho duel. And this "duel-character" falls short at times.

10. Erik F.'s rating of the film Sleuth

Riveting and very clever. Perfect entertainment.

11. Mohammad Aboomar's rating of the film Sleuth

Quite different from the remake, but I liked the new one better. It was much more authentic.

12. Mr. Dude_o_o's rating of the film Sleuth

13. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film Sleuth

14. joey Noodles's rating of the film Sleuth

This is a stunning thriller, two stunning performances with one of the best scripts ever written, certainly. A great film in which you never know what is coming next.

15. Johnny K's rating of the film Sleuth

Part parody of the Golden Age of detective fiction and part psychological thriller, SLEUTH is such a fun film to watch. I love it.

16. Sudipto Basu's rating of the film Sleuth

Class. That's the core of this film. Surprising how Mankiewicz borrowed techniques radically different from the classical Hollywood style which he's mostly associated with.

17. Justabloodygame's rating of the film Sleuth

My favorite movie of all time... two of Britan's finest actors, a crackling witty script and enough twists to populate a maze makes for a heavenly combo.

18. Mr.Wolf's rating of the film Sleuth

1000 better than the adaptation, even when I saw the adaptation first. Fantastic movie, kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Loved the Character or Milo Tindle both Caines and Laws preformance.

19. SelfImprovementInc's rating of the film Sleuth

perhaps this movie is cool if you have participated in or have a keen taste for theater (not to be confused with film).

20. lauli's rating of the film Sleuth

This film is BRILLIANT. It's the best I've seen from Mankiewicz, and the acting duel is simply superb.

21. chanandre's rating of the film Sleuth

[Cinémathèque PT #96: 35 mm]

22. Thomas's rating of the film Sleuth

23. Brad S.'s rating of the film Sleuth

An underrated gem! Great actors chewing scenery. unforgettable set design. Clever twist and turns. Just a pure joy. Avoid the remake at all costs, which is none of those things (but do check out Deathtrap as a proper homage.)

24. Pierluigi Puccini's rating of the film Sleuth

Joseph L. Mankiewicz's swan song united two gigantic legends in a deadly battle of wit, persuasion and humiliation. A masterful thriller with richness in dialogue, theatricality, and twists, all submerged in the purest, most malicious and delightful black humour.