1. miles's rating of the film Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story

Genius way of making this documentary, tragic however is the plot.

2. Ale/M's rating of the film Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story

3. João Portalegre's rating of the film Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story

it's great. it's just a shame that it couldn't be shorter, because it started to drag on to keep on telling the story even though nothing new was really being added.

4. Hugo Poderoso's rating of the film Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story

Great as narrative and as an essay. It can take you from awareness of an illness, to a feeling of extreme melancholia, and then to a meditation on normativity in contemporary culture. Great.

5. corycorycorycory's rating of the film Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story

I really wish I didn't have to watch a potato youtube version, but alas. Great.

6. Raymond Likes Subtitles's rating of the film Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story

7. ry h's rating of the film Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story

"at first i thought it was a joke & then i thought it was deadly serious" - a youtube comment i agree with, & am glad that i do. the fear of using barbie dolls in a tale of anorexia taking someone's life - you hope it's not akin to a bad robot chicken sketch. & it wasn't of course. by then end it seemed more appropriate than using actual actors.

8. SvenErik's rating of the film Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story

It finally occurred to me that I could just go find this on YouTube and thwart Richard Carpenter's cease-and-desist ruling. The version I saw was super grainy but the central conceit works amazingly well and I was suprisingly moved by the end of this brief but absorbing film.The sound collage of Karen's voice on several Carpenters tracks that appears a few times was remarkably haunting.

9. El Biffo's rating of the film Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story

Todd Haynes' brilliant debut. Really a feature film, I saw it as such in a real movie theater when it came out. It is Haynes' best film. Richard Carpenter sued Haynes and all copies are supposed to be destroyed, except for the copy at MOMA, which they have promised NEVER TO SHOW! As of this writing it is on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rACJWPd3VnI&list=PLFA2E8199C6C1EA8B&index=64

10. Chuck Vollers's rating of the film Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story

A film that should be laughable turns out to be genuinely moving and disturbing. Hell, even the Carpenters' music turns out to be moving (and disturbing). The Barbie dolls make a great symbol for both the "plasticness" of the culture the Carpenters came to represent and for the plasticity of Karen Carpenter herself. Of course in this film, she's a symbol that Todd Haynes manipulates for his own ends. Hmmmm...

11. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story

12. Christofer Pierson's rating of the film Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story

Deserves a restoration and a place in the National Film Registry.

13. Brotherdeacon's rating of the film Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story

She was the Christiane F. of Downey, California; the Republican Party's Lady Day. Oddly, Todd Haynes' Barbie doll Karen gave us more insight into feminine repression and the myth of perfectionism American-style, than any role I can remember since Kim Stanley's turn in The Goddess. I kept hoping Sonic Youth would back her up in Superstar, but the fates are cruel.

14. giganaticbeast's rating of the film Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story

It's a shame the only copy of this I've found was copied from tape using a toaster...

15. εξώτερο Διάστημα's rating of the film Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story

ah, and i am such a fan of Ipecac (Recordings). It's a real killer and, acoording to this movie, not just in a metaphorical sense.

16. Danny Kana's rating of the film Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story

17. Mary Anne Magajes's rating of the film Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story

THEN,ON 199,LATE 80'S,THE TV MOVIE IS IS THE BEST.

18. DaisyJ's rating of the film Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story

19. RENO NISMARA.'s rating of the film Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story

it needs a person with high amount of eccentricity and even higher intelligence to create a film this haunting and laughable. genius.