1. Aivaras_Z's rating of the film The Babadook

A very nice little flick, that goes into psychological horror territory with Shining-esque moments and an interesting thematic thread (single motherhood, mourning etc.) running throughout. Some cool visuals built around the Babadook too.

2. Stefano Campagna's rating of the film The Babadook

3. Levi Miah's rating of the film The Babadook

Some of it seemed unintentionally funny, but that might be my fault (like when she jumps on the door frame to kick the door through, it just looked slapstick). That ruined pretty much any aspect of tension or fear that it set up so it was never as scary as it could've been, but the general story, world building and the commitment of Essie Davis to any ridiculousness held it together into a fun horror.

4. nessmj's rating of the film The Babadook

The monster, a creation of the individual, harrowingly portrays the effects of grief not only on the creator but those who are caught in their pull. Rather clever.

5. richardlawrn's rating of the film The Babadook

another film that enforced my not wanting to be a parent. ever! anyway, at first I didn't want to watch it, because I hadn't read anything about it and hated its title, but I'm super glad I gave in. The desaturated color palette is nauseous and fascinating, contrasting with the dark grays and black. too long, though... 60min would have been enough.

6. Lights in the Dusk's rating of the film The Babadook

Kent blends Shyamalanian domestic terror with something closer to Michael Haneke or Lars von Trier. The result is punishing; a brutal psychological drama disguised as supernatural mystery. Davis, so raw & compelling, holds the film together, but the stylisation is interesting as well, with the monochromatic colours & minimalist design suggesting a genre variant on Haneke's similarly suffocating The Seventh Continent.

7. arcondicionado's rating of the film The Babadook

I saw this one three times in a row with my friends on new year's eve's eve because we were in a cabin without internet and this was literally the only media we had so we thought we might as well

8. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Babadook

Decent horror, but I felt like it missed a few here and there that could've resulted in it being a true classic. Would I watch it again? No. Was I entertained? Yes. I felt like no one really overacted here which can be the case in horror films sometime, and this added to the film. The metaphor for grief and what not is a cool idea but I was left wanting more. All in all, recommended. 3 stars

9. Ronja's rating of the film The Babadook

what a great surprise! i loved the mood of the film, the interiors are great, it's exciting to follow how the horror arises from the house, the colors, the lights and darkness. it was also a pleasure to experience how bad characters turn into good and vice versa. do you think, the mother wrote the book herself? p.s. great voice, Babadook! considering that it's director's first movie - 5 stars

10. Adam Whybray's rating of the film The Babadook

A solid and very sincerely felt 4 stars on my part. One of the only horror films that offers a compassionate (albeit flawed) portrait of mental disability and one which I could relate to as a sufferer. Brave to allow the child to grate upon the viewer's sensibilities so that you simultaneously worry for him, yet also share experientially in his mum's frustrations. Only weakness is design of monster itself. Love this.

11. anschyn's rating of the film The Babadook

this film just trying to make you hate all the cast involved here

12. Arisu's rating of the film The Babadook

more like 2.5, anyway not that bad

13. unearthly_red's rating of the film The Babadook

the build up of tension was great, but i wasn't a big fan of the obvious metaphor and the use of cliches overpowered whatever novelty this film had.

14. redux's rating of the film The Babadook

The sleep of kitchen psychology produces bedroom monsters.

15. Diogo Xará's rating of the film The Babadook

the babadook is a creppy little bastard

16. José Neves's rating of the film The Babadook

TV. It would be a beautiful film if there wasn't the tendency to pacify and normalize it in standard formal terms, as if in today's cinema there were no way out of significant currentness and indistinct repetitions. And yet something moves in this umpteenth variation of a haunted house and an endangered child, it would be enough to have believed more in its spaces and if time weren't so compressed.

17. Rafael Zen's rating of the film The Babadook

Kent REALLY created an intense atmosphere with that kid yelling all the time - it made me wish for Babadook to appear way earlier to kill him faster. One star for making horror by flipping the pages of a book; another star for the metaphor: but if it wasn't that contemporary need to use ultra-high-hd-feast - making everything bland, it could have been a classic.

18. Kreg's rating of the film The Babadook

Good horror is about something other than scares, and this film excels at that, right to the credits. That said, the only actually scary part is when the book is first read. Any other parts featuring the title monster were dragged down by the stock sound effects and cliche setups. With more refinement, this could have been worth watching twice.

19. Several Giraffes's rating of the film The Babadook

Very overrated. Didn't really like anything about the movie. Not sure what people see in it.

20. Samuel Righi's rating of the film The Babadook

21. N!nA's rating of the film The Babadook

22. Rupert Hunter's rating of the film The Babadook

23. vladimirbalt's rating of the film The Babadook

Bland and blaze at the same time. 3.5

24. norwegianskies's rating of the film The Babadook

It was intense, creepy, uneasy. For a Psychology student like me this is a really great movie to watch. I don't usually overanalyze movies to this point but I think the Babadook was just a form for her (probably) PTSD - you don't make the "monster" disappear, you just learn how to live with it. Brilliant.