1. jessetaylor's rating of the film The Crucible

I wish this was so much darker than it actually is. Obvious comparisons to Robert Eggers' The Witch come up and while The Crucible is over 50 years older than that film, it could have been produced with a bit more progression rather than a typical take of Arthur Miller's classic.

2. Tyler Wright's rating of the film The Crucible

It's a good movie, but it's surprisingly underwhelming considering its magnificent source material and cast/crew pulling the strings.

3. daftnymph's rating of the film The Crucible

winona is the only hero, the procters' basic goodness makes me want to vomit

4. ioanabogdana's rating of the film The Crucible

5. smndvdcl's rating of the film The Crucible

It would be flippant to suggest that this is an inferior adaptation. After all, the master of method, Daniel Day-Lewis is in his element, and the oft underrated Winona Ryder arrests the screen. Hytner's direction is functional and accessible, sometimes to a fault. The Old Vic's theatrical version of the Miller classic captures the paranoia of the Salem Witch Trials with Wagnerian gravitas; this version still holds.

6. Noiresque's rating of the film The Crucible

Call this 2 1/2. I didn't love DDL (as in Jack and Rose, he was apologetic in a milky, slippery way and lost a lot of impact). Ryder is a strong presence and beautiful but acts at 11. A young Kate Winslet auditioned for this role, but Ryder is generally solid.

7. Lorna Singh's rating of the film The Crucible

With the screenplay by Arthur Miller,a true adaptation of his play about madness that comes from jealousy and fear. Daniel Day Lewis gives a powerful performance as John Proctor,matched by Joan Allen in a less showy but touching role as Elizabeth.

8. Kirby's rating of the film The Crucible

The acting and writing are near perfect. I felt angered, disgusted, and saddened by this film, as I should be. I don't really agree with religion. But I find religious films fascinating.

9. Nikola's rating of the film The Crucible

I fucking love The Crucible. Maybe because it's like Gossip Girl for history buffs.

10. ddrt's rating of the film The Crucible

I had no idea Daniel Day-Lewis was in this and the last of the mohicans because when I viewed them I was in middle school. Watching them again, years later, blows my mind.

11. Jack Hemingway's rating of the film The Crucible