1. Warren Spratley's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

Pretty terrible. Every emotion, every camera movement, every performance, color, piece of light, is a cheap, blatantly aggressive gimmick full of "meaning." It's a humorless, strangely violent piece of work, w/ moments of unconvincing characterization that make no sense, that add nothing to the overall shape of the film. In short, I'm supremely over Guillermo del Toro & his fantasy/reality parables. Pialat forever.

2. andretz's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

3. ammar's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

4. Sara Gaspar's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

5. Paolo Utili's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

6. Ethan's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

This is a visually stunning and powerful horror film from a true master of the craft, Guillermo Del Toro, that shows through his films that the real monsters are not the spirits that haunt us but the people that are right in front of us.

7. HKFanatic's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

By now, viewers of Guillermo Del Toro's work may know what to expect: a melancholy tale set in the midst of a horrifying moment in history, wherein the supernatural elements serve merely as a benevolent backdrop and humanity is responsible for the real violence. Which might be a kind way of saying Del Toro has found a comfortable mode to operate in over the course of his career, but at least here is the source text.

8. kinotopia's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

"Pirates of the Caribbean" league super-schlock with a Wilhelm scream. If this film is personal then every film is personal, so what.

9. Robert H. Stevens's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

The original Spanish Civil War ghost story that cemented the reputation of its director as one of the most insightful and talented filmmakers. The chilling generational and ideological conflict that unfolds in the midst of the poor children who did nothing to deserve the bleak lot they've been left with.

10. DenoResandono's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

A solid horror movie from Guillermo Del Toro. Well, it's a horror movie but I didn't find it scary or frightening. But as drama this movie really works. It's about the tragedy during the Spanish civil war with a ghost story. Looks like a family movie but it wasn't. Due to its depressing tone. I think this is Del Toro's most personal movie before Pan's Labyrinth...

11. Balthaz21's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

12. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

I don’t usually find myself pulled into films that seem this melodramatic (and not self-consciously so) and end up being rewarded in the end. The use of music, the camera movements, I can’t decide if it’s your typical Spielberg-esque genericism or if it’s Del Toro going for something else. It didn’t feel very unique on a surface level, but the more I think about it the more depths I sense.

13. Lutka's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

Another one of great Guillermo realizations. Bravo.

14. Andrew Miller's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

For once, there's something at stake in a Del Toro joint.

15. ΞRIC B∆D TASTΞ's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

great end, the rest was quite lame - apart from the visual & acting.

16. Àlex Frias Haro's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

Junto al "El Laberinto del Fauno", la obra maestra de Guillermo del Toro. "Crimson Peak" está bien, pero "El Espinazo del Diablo", además de estar mejor contada, me asustó más, con su historia más espeluznante, y sus personajes mejor construidos,

17. Addy K.'s rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

Despite some clunky dialogue (a del Toro trademark?), THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE is easily the director's best and most tender film in any language. A ghost story, a coming-of-age drama, a period piece set during the Spanish war, yet —above everything else—a film about the idea of attachment to a place and time. An unexploded bomb stuck in the school courtyard is not just singularly memorable, but essential to the story.

18. Amandio Filipe Moura's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

Dramatic, creepy and excellent overall

19. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

A stunning ghost story; really took me by surprise.

20. Duncan Gray's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

Is it an insult to say that a horror movie isn't scary but poignant? Depends on who you ask, I suppose. I find del Toro's fables beautiful, and this one—a dark fantasy and precursor to Pan's Labyrinth—shows a loving knowledge that ghost stories are about presence and absence, paranormal or no. And, like Cronos, it's got the optimism to hope that something of human life will outlast the physical.

21. lizabeth's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

eh :/ characters were boring

22. tomohartono's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

23. Tom Sykes's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

Another beautiful story portraying the smaller conflicts on the sidelines of the Spanish civil war from Guillermo Del Toro. I love this almost as much as I do Pan's Labyrinth, and the heroes of the story are not necessarily who you'd expect.. Gory, sad, but fulfilling, a masterpiece.

24. janh24's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

Elegant feature; easy to admire, difficult to enjoy.

← Previous 1 3 4