1. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

2. Kunyuk Melempar Buah's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

3. Erik F.'s rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

4. †. Kennedy Pope's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

You can see in The Devil's Backbone that Del Toro was on the brink of mastering the adult fairy tale genre. All in all a good thriller, especially for Pan's Labyrinth/Shape of Water fans.

5. enkii__bilal's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

6. NicoIlGermanico's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

7. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

I really loved this sad ghost story from Guillermo del Toro and is further proof that he is one of the greats amongst us!

8. Nolan Barth's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

Over the last week or so I've been slowly making my way through Guillermo Del Toro's filmography and this just might be his masterpiece! This is an hauntingly beautiful film. The lighting and cinematography is just simply divine. I absolutely adore Federico Luppi in this film. He has such gravitas and can express so much without saying a word. If you are a lover of cinema you owe it to yourself to watch this film!

9. FISCHER's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

Du fantastique ibérique de qualité pour un réalisateur qui confirme... www.cinefiches.com

10. Nicholas Gregory's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

This is del Toro's best assembled narrative, his best film, and a pure literary masterpiece. The genre tropes earn their inclusion into a high-art narrative, and while The Devil's Backbone is more of a subtle drama/ ghost story, lacking the rousing action of Pan's Labyrinth, it's deeper in its dramatic layers of not just his characters, but the conceits, themes, and symbols. It also fully develops the emotion.

11. Warren Spratley's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

Pretty terrible. Every emotion, every camera movement, every performance, color, piece of light, is a cheap, blatantly aggressive gimmick full of "meaning." It's a humorless, strangely violent piece of work, w/ moments of unconvincing characterization that make no sense, that add nothing to the overall shape of the film. In short, I'm supremely over Guillermo del Toro & his fantasy/reality parables. Pialat forever.

12. andretz's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

13. ammar's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

14. Tibulle85's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

15. Sara Gaspar's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

16. Paolo Utili's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

17. Ethan's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

This is a visually stunning and powerful horror film from a true master of the craft, Guillermo Del Toro, that shows through his films that the real monsters are not the spirits that haunt us but the people that are right in front of us.

18. HKFanatic's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

By now, viewers of Guillermo Del Toro's work may know what to expect: a melancholy tale set in the midst of a horrifying moment in history, wherein the supernatural elements serve merely as a benevolent backdrop and humanity is responsible for the real violence. Which might be a kind way of saying Del Toro has found a comfortable mode to operate in over the course of his career, but at least here is the source text.

19. kinotopia's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

"Pirates of the Caribbean" league super-schlock with a Wilhelm scream. If this film is personal then every film is personal, so what.

20. Robert H. Stevens's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

The original Spanish Civil War ghost story that cemented the reputation of its director as one of the most insightful and talented filmmakers. The chilling generational and ideological conflict that unfolds in the midst of the poor children who did nothing to deserve the bleak lot they've been left with.

21. DenoResandono's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

A solid horror movie from Guillermo Del Toro. Well, it's a horror movie but I didn't find it scary or frightening. But as drama this movie really works. It's about the tragedy during the Spanish civil war with a ghost story. Looks like a family movie but it wasn't. Due to its depressing tone. I think this is Del Toro's most personal movie before Pan's Labyrinth...

22. Balthaz21's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

23. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

I don’t usually find myself pulled into films that seem this melodramatic (and not self-consciously so) and end up being rewarded in the end. The use of music, the camera movements, I can’t decide if it’s your typical Spielberg-esque genericism or if it’s Del Toro going for something else. It didn’t feel very unique on a surface level, but the more I think about it the more depths I sense.

24. Lutka's rating of the film The Devil's Backbone

Another one of great Guillermo realizations. Bravo.

← Previous 1 3 4