1. Diderot's rating of the film The Insider

I think, generally speaking, Michael Mann gets too much credit. He's a very competent director in an industry drowning in mediocrity. That said, this movie is thoroughly entertaining and intelligent--the kind of work that gets lauded as extraordinary when it should be the standard fare.

2. DSPRKY's rating of the film The Insider

Michael Mann's forte is action filmmaking, but he makes the corporate whistleblower world seem pretty compelling here. Pacino is great.

3. Ingrid Bergman's rating of the film The Insider

I subtracted half a star for the awful soundtrack. What were they thinking? Otherwise, a great movie.

4. bryanvmh's rating of the film The Insider

5. James Mackin's rating of the film The Insider

A somewhat interesting plot, and decent enough performances keep this film just okay. But its riffing of other director's cinematographic styles is what keeps this interesting.

6. CafeGradiva's rating of the film The Insider

7. mlstrx's rating of the film The Insider

FUCK THE RULES OF THE GAME

8. yelloww's rating of the film The Insider

9. Ethan's rating of the film The Insider

This is an interesting real life thriller that poses a lot of questions about the Tobacco industry. Everyone is great in this and it keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole way through.

10. BernardoDiniz's rating of the film The Insider

11. film_lies101's rating of the film The Insider

One of Mann's masterpieces, a modern day 'All The Presidents' Men'

12. Andrew Miller's rating of the film The Insider

The story (excellent) is not what I really remember here-- instead, golf in the dark, with all that implies.

13. Ghostman's rating of the film The Insider

the best film ive seen about whistle-blowing, one for the ages.

14. Warren Spratley's rating of the film The Insider

A devotional, almost sacred commemoration 2 unequivocal truth, to "grace & consistency." Grace & consistency: Mann's aesthetic principles. Mann constructs characters who, at least partially, parallel his philosophical viewpoint. Whether by landscape, sound, or close visual proximation, M.M. uses form for emotional reflection, profound introspection. In Mann's cinema, the world communicates principles to us, a gospel.

15. Max Swanson's rating of the film The Insider

To me, this will always be Mann's "There Will be Blood". It might not be my favorite film of his but I would argue it's his most stylistically restrained and mature film.

16. Christopher M. Jones's rating of the film The Insider

"What got broken here doesn't go back together."

17. robertsandu's rating of the film The Insider

Very rarely you come across a movie so powerful as Michael Mann's The Insider. Mann is a director whose work I've come to admire -- and here he is at his best, working with the best. The result is an amazing drama about truth-telling becoming simultaneously a burden and a revelation.

18. BLEIBTREU's rating of the film The Insider

Fantastic depiction of the chimpanzees in NYC and DC. Crowe does his retarded-smart-guy thing perfectly. The only issue with the movie is the premise, which says that companies are responsible for people who buy the product. Which isn't true. People are responsible for themselves. The saddest part is that the movie intro tries to glorify the USA influence on other countries in the world. To become like what?

19. Wybe's rating of the film The Insider

20. A Mann's Man's rating of the film The Insider

The great strength of The Insider is that, unlike most of the 70s conspiracy thrillers to which it ultimately hints, we as the audience already know the horrible truth that lies at its core! Mann's genius is the way in which he wrenches tension and drama from the characters' discovery of big tobacco's invisible ascendancy and not ours

21. NB_Criterion_Fan's rating of the film The Insider

Easily Russell Crowe's best work.

22. Jared Bynum's rating of the film The Insider

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. I'm Mike Wallace, and Al Pacino isn't yelling so much today.

23. yuriwalker's rating of the film The Insider

have you ever looked at a woman's tits?

24. doublelife91's rating of the film The Insider

Absorbing and well acted, but a little over long.