1. Madeleine Davis's rating of the film The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

2. MS1915's rating of the film The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

The handy-cam style photography disorients in the beginning, but quickly sets the stage for the realism of the characters (led be Gazzara) & the environment. Dull in parts. And riveting with bravado & suspense in others. Quite frankly I don't know what to feel.

3. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

4. Kamran's rating of the film The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

Review: http://bit.ly/2x9YRi1. 90/100 - The viewer is transformed into an observer in the crowd, a part of the mix, an active participant in the hero’s, or should I say anti-hero’s, journey.

5. FISCHER's rating of the film The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

Une oeuvre d'une noirceur tenace, interprétée magistralement par Ben Gazzara, bouleversant de sincérité dans les scènes finales. Un film sous-estimé à redécouvrir de toute urgence .. www.cinefiches.com

6. Jaspar Lamar Crabb's rating of the film The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

7. Lex Lucas's rating of the film The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

Gazzara. Confidence. The masks fall under pressure, and true selfs appear then. Cosmo just went through doubt and discovering himself.

8. Sol Petchorine's rating of the film The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

_ I can't give you anything but love.

9. ermete polpette's rating of the film The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

10. Endre's rating of the film The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

Cutting cinema down to its bare bones. In this case, it involves lingering on in moments where nothing is left to say, observing the remains of a life. Bold, tragic and beautiful. Still, after many years, one of the greatest films I've seen.

11. gld48's rating of the film The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

12. Ghostman's rating of the film The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

One of the best films of 70s. Cassavetes is a genius.

13. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

14. tintinmugshot's rating of the film The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

15. James Mackin's rating of the film The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

A hoot of a Cassavetes film. Cosmo Vitelli (what a name)'s just trying to run a respectable business here.

16. Jennifer Weeks's rating of the film The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

A surprisingly sympathetic study of a morally abject character. Lingering close-ups and some brilliant acting on the part of Gazzara gradually draw you into the clubowner's world, and my chest tightened in response to his desperation. There's something really heartbreaking about people not being able to live up to their own self image, and despite its humour in parts the film left me feeling quite depressed.

17. Federico Boswarlos's rating of the film The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

18. Dalibor's rating of the film The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

Were it kept me at seat a lot longer than directors previous work was the fact none of the subjects exhibited throughout singles out as it's major thesis. Although as preachy as Cassavettes makes them, neither the setting, nor the characters or it's script offer but a a slice of some bizarre unearthly everyday life. Beta Lynch, in a good way.

19. Mighty Quinn's rating of the film The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

Cassavetes tackles the gangster picture with a great command of laid back style and improvisational acting. Ben Gazarra as club owner Cosmo Vitelli is great; the use of long takes and slow burning scenes demonstrating every tick and mannersm of the character's thoughts and feelings, really making the audience understand him on more than a superficial level like typical movies would. The original cut's better, I think

20. josh scam's rating of the film The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

only when your character is no longer believable do you claim "life is just acting"

21. Silbutamal's rating of the film The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

22. arpagick's rating of the film The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

23. Mr. Marston's rating of the film The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

24. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

What an impeccable neo noir film. The colors which so lavishly set the tone of the movie are among the best I've seen. What also struck me is the excellent use of longer lenses to create the shallow depth and blurred background. The often weird camera angles too helped shape the isolated and alienated environment Cosmo was trapped in. Excellent.