1. J.J. 'Jake' Gittes's rating of the film The Long Good Friday

It got all the ingredients to be a good movie; but it is not. Although packed with crime, violence & action it is not able to keep and hold the tense. At times even tremendously boring. And the music: terrible. The cast is good, at the forefront Bob Hoskins, but they can't bring it up. Also the storyline is acceptable but John MacKenzie can't make it. Disappointing.

2. Filipe F. Coutinho's rating of the film The Long Good Friday

3. Samuel T.'s rating of the film The Long Good Friday

4. Steve G.'s rating of the film The Long Good Friday

Somebody better take him to casualty lol

5. Ethan's rating of the film The Long Good Friday

This is pretty intense and intimate gangster film with a stellar performance from Bob Hoskins.

6. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film The Long Good Friday

The main character is what gives this film an interesting spark. However it's not enough to light my fire. The plot felt a little rushed to be honest. In the beginning this added to the 'who dun it' mystery, but towards the end I just stopped caring.

7. captainfez's rating of the film The Long Good Friday

8. Emanuel Sanabria's rating of the film The Long Good Friday

9. Sam Everett's rating of the film The Long Good Friday

A surprisingly deep film; rich parallels between Harold and the dying British Empire - it's global outlook and attempts at rejuvenation with a blind side for internal troubles and the moving times. Brilliant performances all round, very visible influence for the "Cool Britannia" of later years. Soundtrack contained some very clever foreshadowing, which I appreciated.

10. Thomas Dods's rating of the film The Long Good Friday

When British gangster films weren't awful self parodies...... Excellent performance from Bob Hoskins who elevates this film to greatness. I enjoy the backdrop of post-dockyard pre-City docklands and the final scene in the car has to be one of the best endings ever?

11. Zach Closs's rating of the film The Long Good Friday

Makes the hysteria and paranoia of The Troubles timeless (and perhaps timely, in 2016); much of its propulsive power can be attributed to its very simple, effective set-up. Why, in a time of unprecedented prosperity and control, is everything suddenly going wrong? One bad day, one tragedy, is all it takes to turn men cruel, desperate, violent. Bob Hoskins and Helen Mirren realize truly complex people with panache.

12. cinegeek.de's rating of the film The Long Good Friday

Bob Hoskins spielt Harold Shand, einen Londoner Gangster, hart wie Stein. Sein Revier, die Docks. Mit Mafia Geld aus den USA hat er dort einen der grössten Immobilien Coups der letzten Zeit vor. Er ist klein, mit einem rundlichen Gesicht und Zähnen, die permanent knirschen. Was Harold nicht glauben kann: Auch seine Welt kann zerbrechen - und sie wird, innerhalb einer einzigen Woche.(...)

13. Aardsy's rating of the film The Long Good Friday

Crisp and kinetic. And the music!

14. smndvdcl's rating of the film The Long Good Friday

Arguably the best British gangster film. Epitomises the 'rough-and-ready' confrontational style of British sub-culture and up there with 'Kes' and 'Trainspotting' as one of its defining classics.

15. Malt Frisky's rating of the film The Long Good Friday

I know this is regarded as one of the best British gangster films of all time but I found it unintentionally funny. For me it was just an R rated soap opera that I couldn't separate from Eastenders or Only Fools and Horses. It's a bit hard to look glamorous on a yacht when your surrounded by how grey and shit everything looks in the background. Add also a music score which seems to fart it's way through the film.

16. HSBilly's rating of the film The Long Good Friday

bob hoskins made harold alive. he should've been doing capone instead de niro, look at him at the end of this flick, a long range of harold's emotions, oh dear. rarely saw a good character in a chaotic mob films. and fuck off brosnan

17. MarcusArcus's rating of the film The Long Good Friday

18. Mathias Palmberg's rating of the film The Long Good Friday

Considering this is deemed THE british gangster movie I was a bit underwhelmed. The photo, score and direction was spot on but the script and acting left something to be desired. I love Hoskins, and I know many think this is his finest hour, but I had a hard time taking his acting seriously at certain points. Especially the scene at the bath house where he is trying emote grief for Colin. Still a good watch!

19. Alexandre Roy's rating of the film The Long Good Friday

I foolishly held off watching this film for a long time because I was never big on british gangster movies. But this one is a bona fide classic. Very violent and gritty. I never thought Bob Hoskins could pull off the mob boss role after having only seen him in the Roger Rabbit movie... Dumb on my part. He's excellent. I loved the 80's soundtrack and the ending scene is haunting.

20. Keith Fletcher's rating of the film The Long Good Friday

The best British mob film. Hopkins is CRAZY SCARY in this flick.

21. Mighty Quinn's rating of the film The Long Good Friday

All around excellent British gangster flick with a plot that leaves you guessing, and a memorable performance by Bob Hospkins. The rest of the cast is excellent as well, and the music score distinct.

22. Jared Bynum's rating of the film The Long Good Friday

Harold comes home. Harold sees friends. Harold does business. BOOM. A car explodes. A pub explodes. And Pierce Brosnan kills Belloq. What a long good Friday this will be.

23. CriterionRefs's rating of the film The Long Good Friday

I just noticed today that it's listed as OOP on the Criterion.com website

24. mpho3's rating of the film The Long Good Friday

Great dialogue and performances with the right mix of violent seriousness and a touch of humor. Often intrusive and overbearing, the score is seriously dated yet manages to be oddly likeable in a handful of moments. Of course the final scene is a winner and harkens back to Harold asking earlier in the film, "Is there no decency in this disgusting world?" 3.5 stars